DIY incubator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenhobby1, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chickenhobby1

chickenhobby1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    central Mi.
    Hello all, I am new to byc but my question is this I have been doing some research on building my own incubator. I want to do this to save money and just for the fun of creation of somthing. I was wondering if people often make the bators or its rare to hear of? I also am wondering if people do do this then what are some productive ideas, I have heard and saw on youtube that a hot water heater thermostat wired up is accurate enough the incubate eggs has anyone else done this thanks?

2. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    there are "THOUSANDS" of homemade incubators out there. there are a bunch of pics on here of homemade incubators. check out the sticky at the top of this forum...they are very simple too make and inexpensive!!!!! try it, they are fun to make!!

3. chickenhobby1

Jul 21, 2011
    central Mi.
    thanks I will check do the diy bators work as well?

4. chickenhobby1

Jul 21, 2011
    central Mi.
    AMAZING! (lol)

5. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    There are tons of members who use home bators. I made mine out of a plastic tote a broken hoe handle a cheap dollar basket along with a computer fan and a light socket. I bought the water heater T-stat everything else was from stuff I had around the house.

[​IMG]

Had chicks hatch a week ago.

6. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    You may have looked at this, but it is a great tutorial on how to make a homemade incubator. It was confusing at first but eventually it was pretty simple after I learned a little about wiring and such, here is the video, this is a GREAT incubator, and instead of the wafer thermostat, you are able to use a water heater thermostat.... this video is just part one of the whole process, there are four parts of the process of making the incubator. And IF you decide that this is what you want to do,and IF YOU WANNA USE A WATER HEATER THERMOSTAT then you will also want to look at this video , if you have a lap top then you could take it into your garage or where you are making your incubator, and watch the through the 4 videos, and the extra video I also gave you and you could make a great incubator very easily.

7. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    HEAPS of people have homemade incubators. most of them have been made for cheaper then a normal bought incubator. unfortunately though I found that difficult, I don't know whether I was just not searching in the right places but I ended up spending probably double then what an incubator actually costs. The thermostat alone cost about $150. And I still have to put it all together. I am making a cabinet incubator thought, so that should make it more economical.

8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:Yes they work great! I have 2 homemade incubators and use the thermostat, very easy to wire, if you buy the one off ebay for 15.98 includes shipping he sends a diagram of how to wire, if not i can send you it or post it. Just let me know.
    WARNING! It is very very addicting:lol:
    [​IMG]
    Here's mine

Ayda

9. chickenhobby1

Jul 21, 2011
    central Mi.
    Very nice I knew that people did use them but I didn know how many people used them, and how effective they were? Sounds not like a plan but a GREAT PLAN! cant wait to get started.

10. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    BTW chickenhobby1 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by