DIY incubator thermostat stuck

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carpenterrn, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Carpenterrn

Carpenterrn New Egg

May 22, 2011
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've got about 20 blue Ameruacana eggs in a home-made cooler 'bator and the water heater thermostat stuck on for about an hour or so. The temp got to 118. Did I cook my chicks? Only have 2 1/2 weeks until the science fair for my 9-year old so no time to start another round.

2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Probably;If you did, one option for hatch is Corturnix Quail 17 days to hatch Craigs list probably would be best bet.under( Quail). Problem is that thermostat ( as I always said Water Heater thermostat is like shaveing with AXE...cva34

lots swear by them ; I swear at them (water heater Thermostats)

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Could you note the placement of the thermostat. I am a fan of wafer thermostats, but I have a soft spot for water heater thermostats. I am cheap, and If I can make it work, I will try any thing to get it to work.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    The temps were only up for an hour or two, you may not have killed the eggs. Only time will tell. Temps measure air temp, not internal egg temp. GL

5. Carpenterrn

Carpenterrn New Egg

May 22, 2011
    Columbus, Indiana
    This is kinda morbid - okay, I'm a city guy and a buddhist at that - but I cracked on of the eggs to see what was in it. It appeared to be a chick about 90% developed. Should it have been moving? App. day 14.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes, it should have been moving. I don't think it's morbid at all that you cracked one open and checked. It's about the only way to know. At least, for me it would be - I've never been able to see movement at that point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by