DIY Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by favorelle fab, Sep 23, 2011.

1. favorelle fab

favorelle fab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    Well after the disaster with our duck sitting on chicken eggs, I've just about completed my first home made incubater! I'm just waiting for my thermometer/hygrometer combo and thermostat to arrive which I've ordered off ebay, and we should be ready to plug and play...well the hens will need to do a bit more laying first;) but then we'll be off!

When I can figure out how to post pics on here [​IMG] I'll show you all my creation [​IMG]

Tracey

2. favorelle fab

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    [​IMG]

My first ever attempt at making an incubator!
    Window for viewing. Funnel is to add water as needed for humidity into tray under eggs. Handle under funnel is for turning the eggs

[​IMG]

test run to see if we can get up to temperature...YES 37.5deg C. Fan draws warm air from compartment which has 40watt light globe. Eggs will sit in trays, and can be turned from outside using the handle seen in previous photo.

[​IMG]

Lid open, you can see the second compartment which has the light (heat), not seen is the water tray under the egg cartons which helps control humidity.

Still to come: thermometer/hygrometer will sit in tray with eggs, and the thermostat is a simple plug in which will have the light plugged into it.

Tracey

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG] Looks good

Cant make out any vents though?

4. Buiscuit

Buiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Alabama, And I hate it !
    nice:clap

5. favorelle fab

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    Yeah, I thought about the vents last night..... need to put them in, but haven't decided where the best place is. I'm thinking some just near the light globe so that the new air is warmed before being taken to the eggs... but the other vents... maybe in the egg chamber??

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG]:thumbsup:clap
    NICE
    Ayda

7. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    looks nice. great job

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:I would put both vents in the heat chamber. One high an one low. If you put them in different chambers the fan will be force ventilating the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by