DIY incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Junaleefarm, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Junaleefarm

Junaleefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Crane, Mo
    We have had decent luck hatching eggs with broody chickens but we would sure like to build a cheap incubator. I am handy with the tools and I am good at scrounging materials- any tips of the trade? I have seen some designs online but would sure like some more opinions. I have seen a lot of cooler designs but I would prefer to use wood, any reason why I should go one way or the other? I thank you in advance for any insight.

Chris

2. barkerbeau

barkerbeau Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    Large cooler. I built one from cooler and one from wood. The cooler is much easier to get stable temps due to the insulation.

3. theblackridge16

theblackridge16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    Large cooler works best. we set 18 last year and 15 hatched! I have pics of ours on my page if you want to get an idea of where to start! Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. Phantom_Rooster

Phantom_Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    NW Louisiana
    Here's my homemade cooler/bator. I followed the design of rushlanepoultry.com. He shows pics of my build on his website. I thought that the water heater thermostat would work for me. I know that it will hatch eggs. But, it just wasn't stable enough for me. I pulled a thermostat from an old 1950's Sears incubator and my temps are now 99.5° ±0.1°, consistently. The foil is there because I don't want bright light in my new chick's virgin eyes. That's just me. The syringe is to fill water bowls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Phantom_Rooster

Phantom_Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    NW Louisiana
    Here's the inside of my bator. Egg #3 from the top left is a homemade water wiggle. It's my mystery egg. PM me if you want instructions on how to make one.

[​IMG]

6. Junaleefarm

Junaleefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Crane, Mo
    Thanks everybody- I think a cooler is pretty cheap to find at a yard sale. That looks like a good design Phantom-rooster, I will check out that website tonight when I have more time.

Chris

7. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:[​IMG]:thumbsup
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by