DIY Incubator ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jim H, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Jim H

Jim H Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Chattanooga
    I have read tons of stuff on line and watched a lot of youtube video's on how they are made. But have any of you made one that works really well and how often do you use it. My son and I are thinking about trying to make one, more of a project to just hatch a few chicks. Not going into the business, just think it would be neat to build. If you have made one that works up to your expectations and don't mind sharing the how to and pics, that would be awesome. Thanks everyone who replies.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I don't have any pics, or the how to, but hubby and I made one and it worked well, hatched 5/6 with #6 being an early quitter. It had (2) 40 watt bulbs, a thermostat and a computer fan. We did the dry hatch method. I used a length of aquarium airline tubing and a piece of new sponge in a little cup wired to the side so I could adjust the humidity without opening it. I'd recommend that you use the wafer thermostat, as I seemed to have temp fluctuations when I increased the humidity during lock down with the bimetal thermostat I used. It can also be an issue regarding thermometer readings. I used a digital and a mercury medical thermometer as my gold standard, then used a large red dye thermometer, doing the math to compensate for the discrepancy. I'll have to check that out when I do my test before setting eggs on the 14th. It would be an excellent parent-child project. The tutorials will tell you everything you need to know about the wiring and set up.

3. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I don't have any pics, or the how to, but hubby and I made one and it worked well, hatched 5/6 with #6 being an early quitter. It had (2) 40 watt bulbs, a thermostat and a computer fan. We did the dry hatch method. I used a length of aquarium airline tubing and a piece of new sponge in a little cup wired to the side so I could adjust the humidity without opening it. I'd recommend that you use the wafer thermostat, as I seemed to have temp fluctuations when I increased the humidity during lock down with the bimetal thermostat I used. It can also be an issue regarding thermometer readings. I used a digital and a mercury medical thermometer as my gold standard, then used a large red dye thermometer, doing the math to compensate for the discrepancy. I'll have to check that out when I do my test before setting eggs on the 14th. It would be an excellent parent-child project. The tutorials will tell you everything you need to know about the wiring and set up.

4. Jim H

Apr 8, 2013
    Chattanooga
    Thank you :) Did you use it often, or just the one time ?

5. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    I built one from a 36 quart cooler and followed the instructions from Rush Lane Poultry and Game birds. I have used it a half dozen times and it works really well for me as I have had two hatch's where I had 100% success. I do not have an automatic turner so I have to turn the eggs by hand but that hasn't been an issue. I have done the dry hatch method on all my incubation periods keeping the humidity average at 35% and the temp at 100°F.

Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the link to Rush Lane: http://www.rushlanepoultry.com/index.html

have fun!!

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I also reviewed all the videos of Rush Lane Poultry and used his experience as my guide. I've built two or three boxes now and you learn a few things along the way. At about $30 for each, it is so affordable, why not?

Yes, you'll have fun building it. I sure did. Rush is a silicone man, whereas I like to use Gorilla Glue and allow it to set up, in different applications.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gorilla gluing in these plastic wall anchors allows you to mount just about anything you wish. This was my major inventive thought along the way. Soft foam ear plugs for removable vent plugs also works well.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Jim, I just used it one time. It is an addictive process. If I hatched eggs every time I got the urge, my yard would not be useable... not to mention the words my husband would have for me!!! Oh, you can get free Styrofoam boxes from pet stores and pharmacies. Or you could build one from a sheet of construction Styrofoam insulation... So many options, so many eggs to hatch... such a small coop!

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Jim, I just used it one time. It is an addictive process. If I hatched eggs every time I got the urge, my yard would not be useable... not to mention the words my husband would have for me!!! Oh, you can get free Styrofoam boxes from pet stores and pharmacies. Or you could build one from a sheet of construction Styrofoam insulation... So many options, so many eggs to hatch... such a small coop!

Since there are a few folks who have built a bator responding, how bout a bit of Q and A?

What kind of thermostat?

Any modifications? where did you place it in relation to the heat source and the fan?

What did you use for heat source? Bulbs? 1 or 2? Wattage? Did you have to make any modifications in wattage or bulb location? Bulbs above, below eggs or to the side?

How high did you run your humidity?

Hatch success? How many eggs set, how many quitters/infertile? If eggs failed, do you have an approximate idea what age, and any idea why?

Any problems, recommendations, changes that you would make for the next bator you build, or modifications to the existing one?

9. Jim H

Apr 8, 2013
    Chattanooga
    Thank you for your response, all great questions you posted. The two build set up was interesting and I can understand the need for it, if one burns out. I think I have found the thermometer/hydrometer I will use and also the the the thermostat.

10. Jim H

Apr 8, 2013
    Chattanooga
    Thank you, I found his video series late last nite and really like the way he lays things out. Good to hear you had a good hatch rate :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by