DIY PVC mash feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bridgettesd, Jan 3, 2013.

1. bridgettesd

bridgettesd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Hi all,

Just starting out and want to build a PVC Mash feeder with screw cleanout on bottom and screw top for loading. Similar to this one: http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Best_do_it_yourself_automatic_chicken_feeder/

For mash, should I go with 2 45 degree angles and should I put some kind of lath over the opening to discourage mice or would that prevent access to the chickens. SOrry so new to this but trying not to have to do things twice.

Thanks,
    Brigette

2. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    This is one i built and posted you can find it under my post, i don't know how to get the link for you, sorry. Double hopper style made from PVC holds approximently 15lbs. of crumble, also added a rain/ snow sheild to keep food tray dry.

This is my first post but i love making new thing for the chicks, i have seen variations of feeders like this but nothing exact.
    [​IMG]

3. bridgettesd

bridgettesd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    cool feeder, do you think mash will work with the 90 degree turns and how to u keep food out of the toilet flanges?

4. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    I am not sure exactly what mash is. I use crumbles in it.

I filled the bottom of the T's up and put 2" end caps in there to direct the feed towards the center.

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Ground commercial feed comes in three forms, mash, pellets and crumble. It is all same mix. Mash is the feed as it comes out of the mill, all fine pieces, The next step is to put it through the pelletizer, which extrudes it through holes in a plate to make the pellets. After that to make crumbles the pellets are broken up to make a smaller size piece.

6. mcmarsh

mcmarsh New Egg

Jul 19, 2014
    Canterbury, New Zealand
    did you have any success with mash with a PVC feeder? We've made one and we've been using pellets, but not just bought a bag of mash (oops), I am so hoping it will work. I may have to and so some trial and error. I have a 45 degree elbow that I might change it too as currently we have a 90 degree on in there and with the pellets it is difficult for the food to come right across.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by