DIY quail food thats cheap?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lilbuttons, Dec 1, 2016.

1. lilbuttons

lilbuttons New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    I have heard that you could use cat food for quail, i was going to make a recipe for button quail when in get some since i don't live nearby a fieed store since i live in the city, i was going to use cat food, and oats. is it ok touse cat food dog food, is there any other cheap recipes if not? do i need to add any ingredients? replace any?

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Quail feed can be a bit complicated because they require so much protein and if you have laying females it's likely cat food and oats wouldn't cut it and they would suffer health problems :eek:

I live in a city and have a feed store in the city and one about 15 minutes away, I think the huge bags are 20kg and they're only $17 Canadian so I would think that proper quail food (game bird feed, if they don't have it you can use turkey feed with similar protein percentage as long as it's NOT MEDICATED) would be the cheapest and best option :)

I would search for a feed store near you and if it's far I would stock up on a couple of bags because 20kg of cat food is likely much more money than the game bird feed and doesn't have balanced nutrition for the growing/laying birds.

Good luck :D

3. lilbuttons

lilbuttons New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    well its not that expensive as i already have cats. i dont live by a feed store, nowhere near the closes one is at least 150 miles from us as we live in a big town, we live in bradenton so there is no stores nearby that sells feed, is there any recipes? plus we live in a apartment in a big town full of nothing.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  4. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I attempted to search for a complete diet I could make myself and I didn't have any luck with any simple or affordable options.

Cheap cat food is full of ash and other unwanted filler. Game bird feed is less than $15 USD for 25kg (just checked the size of my bag). I can't imagine cat food similar to that price being good for even cats. Cheap cat food is linked to many cat health problems that could be avoided with a higher quality feed with less filler.

I still suggest you make the effort to get the proper balanced food because even if you use a homemade recipe, you're likely going to have to go to the feed store anyways to get the mass amounts of grain and etc. ingredients. You need a specific percentage of protein, fat, fiber, calcium, selenium, phosphorus, sodium and other vitamins or their health will suffer.

There's also the problem with making it into pellets as even if you have a proper mixture of several ingredients, the quail are likely to pick and choose what they want to eat instead of getting balanced nutrition like a pellet offers.

5. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Are you in Bradenton FL? If so, this may help,

[​IMG]

6. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    Have you maybe tried ordering it online and having it shipped ??? Not sure how pricey that would be.

7. lilbuttons

lilbuttons New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    yes im in bradenton florida im surpised there is a feed store, its a urban town! thanks!

8. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh awesome!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by