1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DIY Styrofoam Incubator and Temp Variances

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Emslilflock, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Emslilflock

Emslilflock Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    Hello!
    I have my diy incubator set up and acclimating. However it is having some temp variations. At first it was all over the place. This morning it would get up to 100 then shut off. It wouldn't turn back on until it dropped to 97. I played with it and from noon until 7 it would turn off at 100 and not drop below 99 while maintaining a steady humidity. All of the sudden though the temp spiked to 102 then it shut off let it drop to 100 and then came back on.

Why is this?
    Our house stays at 68 degrees only reaching 70 in the afternoon on occasion, so I don't think room temp is affecting it. The thermostat is right next to the bulb with the computer fan blowing across the trigger bulb.

What can I do to stabilize the temp?

2. RoosterJuice

RoosterJuice Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Hey there, I would recommend having at least 2 thermometers in your incubator. My forced air styrafoam incubator goes down to 97-98 in the evening and back up to around 99-100 during the day. I don't worry too much about this, the real issue is when the temperatures goes above 102 for a couple hours at a time. If the temperature hits 102 for a short while, the effects aren't going to be disasterous. Good luck

3. Emslilflock

May 21, 2016
    Ok, thanks!

4. Emslilflock

May 21, 2016
    Well, it stabilized for the most part, but I'm getting temp spikes to 104. This only happens after I have had the incubator opem. I read somewhere you should turn the fan off before opening it. Would that help at all or is that unrelated?

5. Animalover712

Animalover712 New Egg

May 3, 2017
    Tennessee
    I heard that you could poke some holes in the styrofoam to help maintain the temp of the brooder. If you've made too many holes tape would give no issues to fix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by