DIY turner for a Little Giant bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens, Feb 28, 2009.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Any suggestions on how to make your own turner for a Little Giant? I would like to turn all the eggs easily without having to open the incubator. Could I do something simple like put all the eggs in an egg carton or something so they don't roll around and put something under one end of the bator to tilt it? I'd really rather not give $40 more to buy the automatic turner. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

2. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
  3. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    That's how I do it with my LG. I use a 2X4, and just move the 2X4 to tilt it from side to side. I've gotten great hatches this way.

4. Tripp

Tripp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Munford, TN
    I bought my egg turner for 26 dollars and I really believe in it I had my first hatch today and had been useing it and it has doubled my hatch rate!!!

Tripp

5. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Thanks!

6. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    bought a turner and bator from craigs list for $30.00, put a add on craigs list and see if someone wants to sell one cheap

7. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    LOL There is no such thing as finding a good deal on anything poultry related in my area. If someone does advertise chickens or chicken things for cheap, it is gone in about less than one hour. Good if you are selling, bad if you are trying to buy! Thanks for the suggestion [​IMG] Wow you got the bator and the turner for $30... I am jealous. The bator itself that I just bought was $42. You got a heck of a deal there!

8. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    just post on there you want to buy a bator with turner and someone will sell theres cheap, i have had about 15 replys to my add. william

9. nissa_loves_cats

nissa_loves_cats Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, definitely! You can use the egg carton method with a Little Giant, a lot of people have had good success with it, I'm trying it this year.

I've read that some people have had problems with the water from the water reservoir soaking the (paper) egg cartons. So what I've done is put some push-pins into the styrofoam to lift the wire mesh a little higher to prevent the water from being in contact with the egg cartons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by