DIY water collection system/recycled rain water

wondering if anyone has constructed their own water collection system using gutters on their coop??
Pictures and instructions are greatly appreciated
I was pondering a collection system for my new coop as well so I don't have to lug water...

I found 2 videos that I'm taking notes on. However...I believe it would only be a 3 season fix as freezing in the winter is an issue with me.

Here are the two videos:

You will have to wait till Spring for mine as that is when i will be adding one to my Rubbermaid shed/coop.
I just didn't get around to it this Fall
The weather isn’t terrible here in Northern California.. so I could potentially get one done soon. But time and supplies are not in my favor lol

My shed/coop is thin on the over hang so i will be using some kind of light weight 'L' to divert the water to one corner, then maybe a tube to the rainbarrel.

The "L" thing may be from the gutter section but I have to look around more. Plus look at CL for free stuff

EDIT, YES, Like that first Video !!! I didn't see that before I replied :)

Last edited:
The "L" thing may be from the gutter section
That 'L thing' is called a drip edge, would be in the roofing section.
I questions it's ability to handle large quantities of rain water,
so beware what would happen below if it overflows.
Same goes for where 'gutter' goes into piping.

Yes, that is why I am calling it an L thing. It is the shape I want but needs to be stronger then what I have seen. Maybe clips to the top edge of the roof to hold...

I may use a cut length wise pvc pipe. Would be strong enough but not sure how to attach to the plastic shed.

There in lies the problem for me, the edge of the plastic shed which is thin.

Back
Top Bottom