DIY Water Heater Question

chemew

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
I've read several great posts on here about DIY water heaters for inside the chicken coop. The only thing I haven't seen is a hanging water heater.

One option is to place one of the heated cookie tins on top of a 5 gal hanging plastic bucket but would it get hot enough to heat the water at the bottom of the bucket and keep the water nipples from freezing?

Another option is to wrap the bucket in heat tape but I'm not sure if the typical plastic buckets you find at home depot would be too thick to allow the heat tape to work well (or possibly start melting the bucket).

What do you think would be good options for a hanging water heater? Pictures would be great if you've already created one.

I'd put a bird bath heater or bucket heater inside of it. Drill a hole in the lid so the cord can come out the hole.

I've been thinking about using a bird bath heater for my chicken waterers this winter, this is their first winter, but haven't heard of anyone twho has used this method
and don't know how well it would work. I'm assuming the plastic waterers would not be the type to use and I should get a metal one instead. As far as heat tape goes I do
use them in our rental properties at times but they would melt the plastic waterers so don't use them. They might even get too hot for the metal ones but I don't know for sure.
Anyone having an idea for the bird bath heater?

I have been going crazy trying to figure out how I am going to heat the waterer. The bird bath heater is just what I am going to use. I didn't even know about them till this thread. I have a metal waterer and plan to set the heater under it, as mine is just raised up on bricks not hanging.

I have one heated waterier that I never used, will be using it this year. Plus 2 heated dog dishes that worked fantastic last year in my small coops that have covered runs.

I use a fish tank heater in my bucket. It keeps the water warm enough so that the nipples also stay warm and I get no freezing at all. It has been well into the negative numbers in my coop.

we have a great second hand shop in town that often has fish tanks and heaters, I saw one there (heater... with 10gl tank) for $5 the other day- kijiji/ebay often have similar deals

Back
Top Bottom