DIY Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ruffedgrouse, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ruffedgrouse

ruffedgrouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    Can someone give me ideas for a waterer that I can build for my small flock?

Thanks!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Chicken water nipples and a 3 gallon bucket. Simple and functional!

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    [​IMG]

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Chicken Waterer Cups hooked up to a 5 gallon bucket

6. ID Pam

ID Pam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Treasure Valley area
    Quote:I checked out the site and I am a bit confused. How many Beakup water systems would you need for 20 chickens? Can you run two systems (each with two cups) from one 5 gallon bucket? I presume you hang the bucket higher than the cups and gravity flow does the rest? Anyone who has had experience and can clarify things please help!

Pam i ID

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    One beakup that has two cups should be enough for 20 chickens but you can always hook up two units to one 5 gallon bucket if you want more than that.

8. KBUGS

KBUGS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    NC
    I had a 5 gallon Culligan water bottle that I drilled a few holes in the neck of. Then I took a 5 gallon bucket and cut narrow ovals(I think 4) around the bucket. They are about 2 inches wide by 10 inches tall, and at least 2 inches from the bottom of the bucket. Then I fill the water bottle as much as I think I can pick up and turn neck down into the bucket. So basically you have a 5 gallon water jug turned upside down into a 5 gallon bucket. It last me about 5 days or so( I have 10 chickens) and has worked fantastic. I found the instructions on here somewhere. Good luck!

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    You can make a simple vacuum waterer out of a five gallon bucket and an oil drain pan. Punch a hole an inch or two down from the rim of the bucket, fill with water, put drain pain over the top, and turn over...

I searched around and even found a tutorial: http://chickenwaterer.org/homemade-chicken-waterer/

10. ID Pam

ID Pam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Treasure Valley area
    Quote:Thanks. I was not sure that would work. Since I have half standards and half Bantams I could mount one set higher and one set lower and not have to worry.

Pam in ID

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by