DIY Windmill for your coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gogoalie, Dec 28, 2010.

1. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Anyone do anything like this? I think that it would be very effcient to use, as all you'd need is a battery, old vehicle altenator, some metal bars (for both the wind mill & the vanes), & maybe an inverter...Has anyone done this for their coop?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have one right next to my coop. $40 from Harbor Freight and all you have to do is put it together.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Kelly, all I can think is that it's something for a crazed roo to become fixated and flog it.

Although I do have all sorts of kitschy whirligigs and whatnots in my yard..... and come to think of it, the chickens have torn up the fabric "flower windmills" that were only 3 feet off the ground....

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It stands about 8 ft tall, so no flogging! In fact, they pretty much ignore it. (they do go under, around it for treats) We got it thinking it would help keep hawks out of our run.

5. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Could it actually convert energy? is that what your asking? because i think that would be pretty cool

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No, mine is purely "ornamental".

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Quote:Does it keep the hawks out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by