Dizziness or is this worse than we thought? Update- possible Mycotoxin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by offdagridsoon, Jul 15, 2011.

1. offdagridsoon

offdagridsoon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    Our 2 year old Partridge Chantecler rooster, initially began behaving as though he were off balance and did not want to walk. His appetite remained good, as well as his sense of thirst. Because I'd heard him sneezing a few times before he started exhibiting these symptoms, I thought maybe he had some sort of respiratory infection that was causing him to be off balance. We got some Tylan injectible and began giving that to him 3 nights ago. We put him in a dog cage with his own ACV/water, food & grit, and some other goodies to get more vitamins into him - peas, watermelon, greens, strawberries, peaches, yogurt, etc.

Yesterday when we got home from work, we thought he was on his way out. He was sprawled out on his side with his head constantly twisting upward. I thought he was seizing and was about to die. Never has he seemed as though he were in pain. His poops were even what would seem to me to be normal poops for him, ie: same colour they always had been, firm, white cap, etc. I called the local emerg vet, who was not really of much help at all and admitted she didn't know much about poultry. After a little bit, he stopped doing that and was alert and would drink and eat, although we have placed all these things right in front of him because his ability to get around is not very good at all.

He was about the same today - alert and responsive and had an appetite, etc. I've been holding him up so that his feet are still on the floor and slowly raising and lowering him to see if he *can* use his legs. He can, but for some reason seems unable, or does not want, to walk.

We just went outside a few minutes ago to find him doing the same sort of thing, constantly twisting his head toward the ceiling, laying down, and gently flupping his wings.

We haven't introduced anyone new to the flock (save the ducklings, who were laid & hatched by birds we already had in the flock), they have no contact with outside livestock, and they are generally in their coop/pen or are having a supervised free-range session. If he has some sort of disease, I'm really at a loss as to where it would have come from.

Is it possible that he is really just dizzy/experiencing vertigo from some sort of respiratory disease/infection and it just hasn't gotten under control yet with the Tylan, or does it sound like something else to any of you? I would be very grateful for any thoughts or advice. We get eggs from our ducks, but our birds are basically like pets to us. If there's any way to nurse him through this, and reassure myself and my husband that he is not suffering, but is just dizzy, we'll do it. I've had vertigo myself before, and certainly wouldn't have wished to be put down for it! We just don't want him suffering needlessly if what is wrong with him is obviously something else that will prove to be fatal in the end. [​IMG]

Thank you...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
  3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Here is a pic of my Wry Neck Silkie, Twistie. He was unable to move his neck or head and had to drag it between his legs. After doing the Prednisone/Vitamin treatment shown on that link I posted, he is 100% normal. It looks terrible, but it is treatable- see:

Before:

[​IMG]

And after:

(he's the one with his head up)

[​IMG]

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    There's something called Save A Chick and Poly Vi Sol (DON'T GET THE ONE WITH THE IRON) that are supplements most recommended for the Wry Neck. There's a couple different types of head twists and the treatment is the same. The only other thing is possible moldy food so it would be a good idea to pull the food and try a new batch just to eliminate that problem.

5. offdagridsoon

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    Reading the symptoms of Botulism, it sounds to me like that's what he's got. Sadly, we are now at 2100 local time here and there are no drugstores open where we can get some Pedialyte to try and keep his electrolytes up. Is there anything I can give him that will help me keep him hydrated and his electrolytes up until I can get to the drugstore tomorrow? Thank you for all the links!

6. offdagridsoon

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    As an update, his poops are now liquid.

7. offdagridsoon

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    I have no idea what to do with him tonight. [​IMG]: He was acting absolutely fine when we went out there just a little while ago, and then all of a sudden he starts again with the twisting of the head/neck, *this* time torquing his neck right around and bringing his head down between his legs. Right before that he was sitting there in his hay, alert, and eating and drinking on his own, then BANG - he starts with that behaviour again. I can't tell if it's botulism or wry neck but Squishypuff, you might be right. I just don't know what to do for him tonight! We live out in the country and there is *nothing* open at this hour...we can't get anything to treat him with at all! I don't know if leaving him for the night and hoping for the best is the best option at this point, but I don't know that there's anything else we can do. [​IMG]:

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Do you have a gas station you can go to? You can get him some gatorade and dilute it with water. That will get him til you can get the other. Polyvisol without iron if it wry neck will help too.

9. offdagridsoon

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    Thank you for the replies all....Ted is still with us today, and has been drinking some yogurt and acv-water. We were actually able to find Poly Vi Sol at our local pharmacy (miracle or miracles!), and also got some selenium, vit E and the vet actually agreed to give us some prednisone pills without seeing him, admitting that she doesn't know much about poultry and is more used to dealing with animals like that in a 'bulk' situation (ie: battery hens or broilers [​IMG] ). So...got him to eat most of his dose of prednisone witha blueberry, although he wouldn't just swallow the halved berry that had the pill tucked into it, so we wound up having to jam it up against the side of his beak and he acquiesced to eating the pulp out of it. I think a bit of the pill was 'lost' due to sogginess and the messiness of eating, but at least it's something. [​IMG]

How much of the Poly Vi Sol should I give to him? I was thinking a whole child's dose may be a little bit too much...? Maybe half a dropperful intead? How do you guys dose it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by