1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dizzy bird question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by davidNJ72, Apr 26, 2017.

1. davidNJ72

davidNJ72 New Egg

Apr 26, 2017
    Greetings friends!
    I have an Australorp 2 year old hen, whom I actually named Dizzy because I was doing Jazz theme and she was literally dizzy. At a few weeks old she got weaker and weaker until i thought surely she would pass, but she didn't, and became my alpha bird. She has mostly been just fine, but now and again I notice her stumble a bit and just wonder if there is something I can do to prevent this and give her the best health and life possible. As I said she is 2 years old so I'm sure it's not Mareks. I typically put some acv in the water when I see this in case it's parasitic, but I don't want to give medicine unnecessarily, so I'm looking to the forums for some helpful advice.
    Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Check her ears to make sure there are no mites/lice or some type of infection.

Dehydration can cause loss of balance as well, so watch to see that she is drinking enough. Some chickens don't absorb nutrients as well as others, so she may benefit from some poultry vitamins once a week.

Taking a fresh poop sample to your vet for testing of Cocci and worms would be a good idea in case there is an overload.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by