Dizzy Duckling

busym0mmy

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Hello Everyone :) I'm a completely new farmer, teaming up with a somewhat experienced farmer. We're starting our farm in Maine. We just tried to hatch a bunch of duck eggs. This was our first time with an incubator, and frankly, we failed. We put in close to 40 eggs. We had 3 ducks hatch, 2 of which died right away. 1 is still alive 5 weeks later.

He's doing good, minus a weird condition he has. He seems off balanced alot. Sometimes he can't get up. He'll just lay and peep for a while. Other times he can walk just fine. And sometimes he walks in a circle until he falls over. He eats fine, drinks fine, poops normal. His eyes are clear and his head isn't really tilted. Really, he looks just fine, minus the walking around in circles.

I've googled for days and I can't find out anything. Does anyone know what this condition is? I'm going to assume he won't be able to be free range outside because if he has periods where he can't get up, he'll be a sitting duck to pray (pardon the pun).

So sorry your first try at incubating wasnt more successful.

I had a duckling hatch a few years ago with a thiamine deficiency- and did a bit of research into it. My duck Flippy was flipping over onto her back and couldnt walk a straight line. I made contact with a few other people who had ducklings with similar symptoms, and I went to visit one young duck- and she was walking in circles. She had been flipping over just like my duck - but also only walked in tight circles, almost constantly.

My vet prescribed high doses of a multivitamin for my duckling and she did improve - although it was slow and took a number of weeks before she was anywhere near normal again. She is still a little odd these days-and I do continue to give her vitamins and extra feedings- especially worms and bugs that I hand feed her.

A thiamine deficiency makes sense. Is there anything I can get from a feed store or do I need a vet? Is there anything I can do to prevent this with the next time I try to hatch some eggs?

Edit: Can I give the supplements to the entire flock (I'm assuming it's water based) or will I have to separate it from everyone else?

Last edited:
Consider thiamine or niacin deficiency. What are you feeding? Chick starter has about a third of the niacin needed. You can put 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water in to help with a deficiency. Don't know about the thiamine.

Yes, you can give vitamins to the whole flock - get some poultry vitamins. I like the kind with electrolytes and probiotics. You can get them from hatcheries like Meyer, or from poultry supply houses, feed stores, etc. No need for a prescription.

Back
Top Bottom