1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dizzy Hen. Royal treatment with roo. UPDATE/Pics Read post 5,7

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickfillhay, Sep 3, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I have 2 barred rocks who are the same age. One is laying just fine. Really nice brown eggs. But the other is trying to keep up with the flock but falls over on her side and sits down alot. She looks inbalanced. Like she is carrying a weight on one side of her body. Recently (Just before this started) I saw really large white eggs in the coop floor. I just assumed my Donald duck is really Daisy duck. But I locked my hen in yesterday and that really large egg the duck laid was there. The duck can't get in. So obviously my barred rock laid it. But these eggs are huge! About three days ago is when I noticed her walking funny. One day I got 2 eggs from the coop. She must have laid one in the morning and one at night. What do I do now? I have her in the house laying on a pillow in the dog crate. PLEASE HELP!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I wish I could help but I'm at a loss on this one. I'm hoping someone will jump on here and help you out. Sorry, best of luck.

3. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Thanks for giving me a nudge up. She's in the cage right now. She is eating oatmeal with 1 tums mixed into it. She's eating and drinking quite well. Soon I will be putting her into a tub of warm water....

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Chickens seem to have a lot of neurological problems. But I don't know the symptoms of being eggbound, I've heard you can feel around in their abdomen or stick a little finger in the vent to feel around...I have never tried this...search eggbound on here and you'll find a ton of information.

5. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Thanks.
    I did that and last night I gave her oatmeal and a tums. And today I gave her a soak in the tub. (she got the real treatment.) I Wrapped her up in a towel. ( she fell asleep on me). Later I put her back in the cage which is by the window. Her rooster was outside calling for her and she responded. So I opened up the door and he waltzed in like he owned the place. I thought he could help in making her more comfortable so I opened up the cage door and sure enough he went in with her. They both enjoyed dinner and a beverage...And I checked a little while ago and...she layed an egg. I did notice however that when she tried to lay down (prior to laying the egg), she would fall and stand back up again. But since she layed that egg she has been lying down again. I was gonna let them out but neither of them wanted out of the cage when I opened it. I figure maybe she has more in there and will lay another later.
    Strangely enough. Her egg is brown and normal. Not at all the really large ones I've been finding. What do you make of that? I'll update you with pix later.

6. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    That's so wierd! But I think it's really cute how her roo came in and had a hospital dinner with her![​IMG] He's so devoted!

7. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Here are some pix of the handsome couple. She is a Barred Rock and I think he is an E.E. of some sort.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From time to time I hear her talking. He has finished his cock-a-doodling for the night. But he did make it clear he is here. They have a little one too. I will post on what breed is this? Because somehow they made a featherfooted chicken. Go figure.

8. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    GOOD MORNING Y'ALL!!!Guess who woke me up today...I forgot that I put the roo in the house with the hen....He started promptly at 6am and wouldn't stop 'till I put him outside..It's tempting to keep that alarm clock in the house every Mon. - Fri. 'cause I had no trouble getting the boys out of bed this morning.....Henny is doing fine but still a little off balance.

9. kaya's farm

kaya's farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    what color was the egg the chick came out of it may not have been from the chicken you think? Many hens will set any eggs they have to set even if they are from another chicken. Very cute!!!!! Sorry about your hen i hope she feels better!

o yea about the roo at 6am............... you are lucky ours start at around 4 30 and they live right by the bed room:)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  10. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    You know....Come to think of it. The egg was a little smaller than her usual. I do have a banty with a few feathers on her feet. But she's been laying teeny tiny eggs. And since this one she has slowed down and now stopped. HMMM.... [​IMG] THANKS! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by