Dizzy, off balance chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by megan88, Dec 6, 2008.

1. megan88

megan88 New Egg

Dec 6, 2008
    Australia
    Hi Everyone,
    I hope you can help me as I am really confused!
    My Chicken started acting funny about two days ago. She appeared to be walking funny and a little of ballance. I checked and she is not egg bound. I treated her for mites about 5 days ago but it wasnt a serious infestation or anything (could only see 2 mites in her feathers at the time). She is eating and drinking fine and is alert/inquisitive but is getting progressively more dizzy. When she tries to walk she just falls on her face so she has now resigned to sitting down all day. She sometimes even gets giddy sitting and when she moves a bit rolls onto her side. Whats wrong with my girl?

2. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she vaccinated for Mareks? That is the only thing I can think of without more history and information.

3. megan88

megan88 New Egg

Dec 6, 2008
    Australia
    I have no idea what she is vaccinated against! Its weird because she is perfectly healthy in every other way accept she cant walk! I have also noticed she is missing quite alot of feathers on her tummy, is this related?

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

An ear infection can cause a problem with balance. Is there any chance she is having a reaction to what you used to treat her for mites?
    Good luck with her.

5. megan88

megan88 New Egg

Dec 6, 2008
    Australia
    I guess it could be an ear infection. How would I tell? Any suggestions on how to make her recovery quicker? I have seperated her from the other chooks and put her in a cage so she doesnt have to move much for food/water. I dont think it would be what I used to treat for mites I mean it was a spray made for chooks and she was a bit off charecter lathargic and a bit underweight before but I just thought it was a result of her being a bit broody not too long ago. She did drop quite alot of body weight then. My other girls didnt have any reaction at all. I hope she is ok shes a really nice little chookie.

6. hoosier

How is your chicken?

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Breed, age , environment info and housing info and what you are feeding is necessary info to help you guess.
    Has she had a recent respiratory ailment? (If so then an inner ear infection might indeed be the culprit)
    Please review the info in the link below as info contained in one of them might ring a few bells and help you figure it out (the thread is entitled "limberneck/crookneck but ataxia/imblance issues are also addressed):
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

8. megan88

megan88 New Egg

Dec 6, 2008
    Australia
    'Breed, age , environment info and housing info and what you are feeding is necessary info to help you guess.
    Has she had a recent respiratory ailment? (If so then an inner ear infection might indeed be the culprit)'

She is getting a little less active now but is still eating and drinking fine. She is definiately a tough little girl. She is a Leghorn cross bantom about a year and a half old. The chickens are housed in a shed which has a run that they can access. I also allow them to roam when I am home to keep an eye on them. I feed the chooks a mixture of food including layer pellets, mixed grain/seed, fresh vegie scraps, grass, bugs (when they can find them) and their favourite: silverbeet which i grow for them myself to ensure no pestacides/chemicals. I havnt noticed the chicken having any respiratory problems and the other 3 chooks are completely fine.

9. hoosier

Has she shown any improvement?

10. megan88

megan88 New Egg

Dec 6, 2008
    Australia
    We had to put her down. After two weeks she started looking even worse. Sleeping most of the day and unable to find her food/water even though it was right in front of her. She seemed to be a bit going a bit blind and was having trouble breathing. I guess we will never know what was wrong with her. Thanks everyone who replied and tried to help I will miss her alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by