1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dizzy & Starving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMama6, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ChickenMama6

ChickenMama6 New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    Some where in America ._.
    I have a RIR hen that is sick. Really badly sick. Like "she's gonna be died in a couple days" sick. I saw her trying to walk around and was really dizzy.
    So I picked her up and checked her over. No frost-bite but she was deathly skinny and her feathers were falling out in clumps, except her bum feather that were glued together with poo, So I clipped all the poo feather out and made sure she was clean otherwise. I thought "Oh! she's probably cold and sat there for 45mins-1hr cuddling her. She fell asleep as soon as I picked her up, didn't even fight, and usually the reds squat, with their wings half-opened, and run in place.
    So it's been an hour at the most when I realized.... I can't feel my hands,toes and face. So I tried to wake her but she didn't want to, I just thought "It's warm, why would she wanna get up" I got her of my lap and put her in nesting box, looked down and she'd lost alot of feathers while napping. She also fell right on her back, too!
    So I filled her box with this really soft hay we have from the horses and put food next to her. And I was lifting her chin and coaxing her to eat but should would not open her eyes, she'd just stand up like a Indian Runner Duck, get dizzy and almost fall, but luckily I either caught her or she caught herself.

Any help?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ChickenMama6

ChickenMama6 New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    OH! I forgot to add, my other RIRs are being VERY mean. We had to put down a chicken recently cause they tore her face off... literally.
    she couldn't eat at all cause it was to painful.

3. ChickenMama6

ChickenMama6 New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    Never mind. She died this morning,
    R.I.P, Sweet Heart-
    [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. If she wasn't molting, i would be suspicious if she could have had botulism. A symptom besides weakness in the legs progressing upward in the body to the neck, is feathers that are easily pulled out. She may have been kept from the food by others higher in the pecking order. It is a good idea to keep an extra feeder available for lower pecking order birds--maybe 1 inside the coop and 1 in the run or outside. Here is a link to read about botulism: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by