Dk RI. Reds vs RI. Reds vs Dark RI.Reds

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
Ok Looking at all my catalogs on hatching and day old chicks, I see there is RI REDS from Murry Mc, Murry Hatchery and then there is Dark RI Reds from Welp Hatchery as anyone bought from both hatchery and see a difference in both bird or are they the same I do see that that Welp also has alone with the Dark RI. Reds that they sell RI. Reds I assume that the Dark RI Reds are a more black or deeper red /Black in color then the Reg. RI Reds , which are a red color .
And I sure that the NH Reds are more lighter (like an red/orange color ) that the RI. Reds and the Dark RI. Reds are more like a Dark Red / black color .

Would this be correct.

What is the true colors of all three ;

NH. REDS

RI. REDS

and Dark RI. Reds

Or are they that close in color .

Which is the true RI Reds

Thanks
Alan

Alan

McMurray only sells what they call production RIRs .. New Hamshire Reds were at one point RIRs with selective breeding. P-RIRs I have bought from them before they are good laying hens but not "pure blood". Hence the production word in there.

I don't know about the other hatchery.

Correction: Production RIRs are not crossed New Hampshire and RIRS Sorry about that. I meant to say New Hampshire were once RIRs with selective breeding. (taken from Mcmurray website)

Last edited:
True RIR's are this color..None of the hatcheries have them this dark

100_0095.jpg

Some years back Rhode Island Red breeders went in 2 directions. Some selected to breed toward the standard, others selected for productivity. The result is 2 types of Reds, those conforming to the Standard description & those that vary from the Standard but are very productive. So-called production Reds are not a cross between Rhode Island Reds & New Hampshires, they are Reds selected for productivity.
Early breeders considered both traits & there were once flocks of Standard bred Reds that were very productive. Today's show breeders pay little attention to productivity.

What puzzles me is that my RIR hens from MM were dark, but the roo was kinda in-between. Regardless- they were great layers. Sold them off because the roo wouldn't stop jumping on everyone's back.
roll.png

I have had both. I have one remaining hatchery RIR lady, who is a very rich color for hatchery stock, but nowhere near black-red that my three breeder types are. Also, the deep, dark ladies are about 1/3 to 1/2 again larger than my hatchery girl. In fact, I've often called them Amazon-hens because of their size. They are as productive as the hatchery stock; at least, the ones I have are. Very sweet girls, mind their own business, not in the least aggressive. In fact, my little Ameraucana hens can bully them.

Back
Top Bottom