Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

What’s the best way to train my pupper around the chickens? With my Cookie Monster he just wanted constant attention and could care less about them, so he was easy. Now I have an energetic puppy who wants to chase and play with everyone and everything. Any good way to go about this? I‘m obviously not gonna leave her out there with them out, but in case she gets out while they’re out or something, I don’t want her to go chase and try and play with them.

Non sporting is my favorite, bc poodles

I love the Hounds, but I cannot own a hound. i need my dog to listen please

but they have the look i just love

I want a basset fauve de *insert french words here*
Non sporting is my favorite, bc poodles

I love the Hounds, but I cannot own a hound. i need my dog to listen please

but they have the look i just love

I want a basset fauve de *insert french words here*
I didn’t even realize what all breeds were in that group until just now. :oops: I forgot it was such a varied group! Hahah and so many of my favs in there too! :eek: I guess I have a new favorite group 😂🤣 I love terriers too tbh. They are amazing and feisty and just great!! But just like you, I want a dog that listens lol I’ve dealt with enough stubborn dogs 😂🤣

What’s the best way to train my pupper around the chickens? With my Cookie Monster he just wanted constant attention and could care less about them, so he was easy. Now I have an energetic puppy who wants to chase and play with everyone and everything. Any good way to go about this? I‘m obviously not gonna leave her out there with them out, but in case she gets out while they’re out or something, I don’t want her to go chase and try and play with them.
I would honestly start on a leash at a far enough distance away that she can perform commands, take food, and just is calm, etc. and reward her for ignoring them. Does she know a watch me or look at me type command? If not, you might want to teach one. It’s real simple and basically you just wait for them to look at you or hold a cookie on your face or something lol and then reward them when they do. Once she knows it, you can transfer that to the chickens with getting her to look at you instead of them. A solid leave it command is also very important so work on that and then, again, reward when she turns away and/or looks at you instead. If she is freaking out, you are too close and above threshold and will need to move back until she’s out of threshold again. Or, alternatively, you could just walk her up to the chickens on leash, and right away show her what not to do, correcting for too much interest and rewarding for calm behavior, but with puppies I like to set them up for success and start further away. But it does depend on the dog because I’ve had some dogs that were just curious and once they got a sniff or quick look, they were fine, whereas holding them back at a distance made them worse haha so it depends but yeah. On leash and heavily reward for ignoring them. Or you could use toys and play if she is more interested in that and won’t get too riled up. But basically you want be the most interesting, fun thing around hahah use high value, yummy treats too.

Back
Top Bottom