Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

tbh I know we want to feed the best food for our dogs, but the dog food brands are corrupt, the worst brands are owned by the same company the best brands are owned by.

feed your dog whatever they thrive on. My dog is on Pedigree bc he does awful on other brands
Yeah, I’m definitely a huge believer in feeding the dog in front of you as I’ve seen said before on some groups I’m on. I’m ashamed to say I used to be kind of a dog food snob etc. until all the DCM stuff came out and I joined a few very enlightening FB groups with tons of info and science etc. I even switched the cat to Purina cause it was cheaper and she LOVED it. She’s now on a different “better” one cause she needed to gain some weight but still. I would switch her back again.

Yeah, I’m definitely a huge believer in feeding the dog in front of you as I’ve seen said before on some groups I’m on. I’m ashamed to say I used to be kind of a dog food snob etc. until all the DCM stuff came out and I joined a few very enlightening FB groups with tons of info and science etc. I even switched the cat to Purina cause it was cheaper and she LOVED it. She’s now on a different “better” one cause she needed to gain some weight but still. I would switch her back again.

Yeah, I'd switch my dog if I had the money. I don't, and he's fine. And that is that 😂

They’re one of my favorites haha and totally understandable! Although tbh they’re less terrier like and more like the other small breeds hahah you might like them better but totally understandable if not! That picture was also kinda a weird looking one 😂 they come in all different colors and sizes. You might like the Decker ones better. They’re bigger. Here’s some more info on the rat terrier though

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/6-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-rat-terrier/
Looked at more pictures some of them are quite cute others not as cute, probably would need to actually see one in person, some breeds of animal just seem to look odd in pictures and look very different in person. I was going to go to crufts last year to look at different breeds but didn’t end up going :(.

@TheDawg

Poodles not in the sporting group

how did the poodle get lost as a waterfowl retriever? A fair amount of the blame, said Grace Blair, M.D., a poodle breeder from Diamond Springs, California and the person most responsible for the American Kennel Club's decision to include the standard poodle among the list of breeds eligible for AKC hunting tests, rests with the breeders themselves as well as a decision made in the late 19th century.

'The American Kennel Club followed the lead of the British Kennel Club and put standard poodles in the non-sporting group. No one seems to know what the rationale was for that particular decision," said Dr. Blair. "The Canadian Kennel Club, which started in 1888, had the standard poodle in the sporting group originally but moved them to non-sporting in 1938 when the CKC recognized miniature poodles. The United Kennel Club has always viewed poodles as a sporting breed. What this means, however, is that for roughly 150 years, poodles, for the most part, have not been selectively bred for their ability to hunt.'

Poodle folks who hunted with their dogs were unable to even begin addressing this prob~m [sic] until the mid 1980s when the Canadian Kennel Club permitted standard poodles to start participating in the retriever working certificate program. According to Dr. Blair, much of the credit for this move by the CKC must go to Jacqueline Harbour, a poodle breeder in Ontario. And because they had always been part of the UKC's sporting group, poodles were also automatically eligible for the UKC-affiliated Hunting Retriever Club's tests.

In 1993, the Poodle Club of America started a retriever working certificate program, which was a prerequisite for becoming eligible to participate in the AKC's retriever hunting tests. In 1996 the CKC started retriever hunting tests (which look very much like the AKC's tests) with standard poodles permitted to run. The final step came in September of last year when standard poodles became eligible to participate in the AKC's retrieverhunting tests."

Article is here : Standard Poodles: Foo Foos No Longer

The sporting group is huge and already very diverse. Poodles would be highly unlikely winners in the sporting group but win readily in the non-sporting group. BTW it isn't as if American registries totally exclude poodle from the sporting group. They are in the Gun Dog group (aka sporting) in the UKC.

Back
Top Bottom