Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Pics
color can sometimes be the source of health issues

like merle causing things like deafness, blindness, and skin cancer

and albino dogs having issues like blindness and deafness

blue and white dobermanns having alopecia and other skin issues

this is why breeders will stay away from such colors, or make sure 2 merle dogs never get bred together, and no two merle dogs with extreme white face or piebald get bred together

but there are also colors that have been deemed not ok by show standards, and while these colors are perfectly fine, they are not standard. The dog may not be less quality than its littermates, but it is a undesired color and breeders will try not to breed it. Fancy colors are often bred by byb breeders, so any dog you see that is a color off standard, may not automatically be from a byb, but it is a concern
Like how white cats with blue eyes are almost always deaf?

Like splash in chickens?

So show line will be better at walking around in a ring and being put before judges, but working line will be better for high level sports?
What about the competitions that you mentioned earlier when I asked about obedience ones?

Not really. they aren't born good at something

they usually have a more laidback temperment, more suited for being gaited around the ring, and then brought home for a cuddle. they still have energy, especially a retriving breed or a herding breed, but not as much

No I get that and don't want an unhealthy dog. I just wouldn't care if color was one if the reasons it wasn't worth using to breed for the standard

There are almost certainly some puppies in a litter that are "better" (for show purposes) than others. The "better" ones may cost more than the other ones, even if all are equally healthy. Differences could be in color, markings, whether the ears stand or flop right, whether the puppy is likely to mature a little bit larger or smaller than ideal, and so forth. Even gender could affect price sometimes, if there's a mis-match between what buyers want and what puppies are born.

I've been reading about puppy training for just household pets (I'm not in charge of it but oh well may as well learn) and so far the only thing that I've read in depth is The Art of Training a Puppy By The Monks of New Skete. It focuses on praise based training over treat based training, but also uses a lot of dominance stuff. (nothing abusive, just making a very firm master:dog relationship) if you've read or heard of this book, what are your opinions on it? If you haven't, what are your thoughts on training methods that sound similar?

err, for example

I've met poodles before.

the Show line poodle was much more calm, cool and collected. It had many titles on it for sports, it was focused on its handler, it wasn't overly energetic, but it still loved biking, hiking, etc. It had a really lovely off switch (the ability to settle down)

The working/field line poodle was very driven, it wanted a job, it was energetic, and could put its mind to things, like working, but it needed to put its mind on something to not be such a energetic dog. It did not have a off switch naturally, it had to be trained one.

Both dogs where very sucessful in sports, but they where 100% different dogs in temperment

I feel like show line dogs are better at sports like obedience because it takes a very level headed dog who needs to think. and I feel like working line dogs are more suited for things like agility, because they want to go go go.

err, for example

I've met poodles before.

the Show line poodle was much more calm, cool and collected. It had many titles on it for sports, it was focused on its handler, it wasn't overly energetic, but it still loved biking, hiking, etc. It had a really lovely off switch (the ability to settle down)

The working/field line poodle was very driven, it wanted a job, it was energetic, and could put its mind to things, like working, but it needed to put its mind on something to not be such a energetic dog. It did not have a off switch naturally, it had to be trained one.

Both dogs where very sucessful in sports, but they where 100% different dogs in temperment

I feel like show line dogs are better at sports like obedience because it takes a very level headed dog who needs to think. and I feel like working line dogs are more suited for things like agility, because they want to go go go.
Amazing, that's a super helpful description!

Back
Top Bottom