Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Any idea how to teach a command that’s basically like ‘you can do what you want now, you can break form, you can go’ ?
You can use any word you want. I’ve heard different ones like “free”, “break” “okay”, “go”, etc. although I don’t really recommend okay because if you accidentally say it and release them lol but I am guilty of using that one a lot 😂🙈

It’s real simple. Just pick a word and say it every time you release them from a command so you could make them sit and stay or whatever the command is and reward them for breaking when you say it but not before. If they break before the release, put them back and try again even if it takes 20 times hahah cause it could save their life potentially listening well. I like working on obeying at a distance too. And for the release word, I like practicing with a ton of words that are not the release word and only rewarding for releasing on the correct word hahah helps teach them that it is a very specific word, not just any word. So I’ll just start saying random words 😂🤣

"break?"

I usually just say "break" and walk away, not asking my dog for anything. He used to pester me like "dude what?" for a bit, and as soon as he went off to do his own thing again, I said "yes! break".
How well does it work for him? Did you teach it after everything else or at the end of every training session?

How well does it work for him? Did you teach it after everything else or at the end of every training session?
You can build it in right away instead of teaching it separate. Some people don’t even like teaching stay because they say the stay should be implied until you give them a different command or release them and I somewhat agree hahah I try to do, don’t move till I tell you lol

Back
Top Bottom