Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

I do too, and start at 8 weeks, and by six months old I usually have a good solid recall. I can't imagine why it would take years to train a recall. 🤪
Yeah true although I can see it maybe taking that long to get it truly fully 100% proofed haha cause I practice for a lifetime even if they know it haha

Is the recall just 'come' ? And then once they get it at home you increase distance and change situation?

yep. recall is just come to me.

you do it everywhere. Everywhere you go, if your dog wanders away from you, ask for a come

people like training come by putting their dog in a stay then asking for a come but dont do that!!!! your dog will antcipate a release from the sit.

people like training come by putting their dog in a stay then asking for a come but dont do that!!!! your dog will antcipate a release from the sit.
So putting them in a sit before having them come makes them just break out of come because they think that it's ok?
Do you have them break, then have them come?
If they're just starting, do you come stand closish to them and have them come?

So putting them in a sit before having them come makes them just break out of come because they think that it's ok?
Do you have them break, then have them come?
If they're just starting, do you come stand closish to them and have them come?

It makes them anticpiate the come here part. You don't want that. I put my dog in a stay then I walk towards him and give him a treat.

You can break them and then tell them to come

or a dog will usually naturally wander away from you, call them back

It makes them anticpiate the come here part. You don't want that. I put my dog in a stay then I walk towards him and give him a treat.

You can break them and then tell them to come

or a dog will usually naturally wander away from you, call them back
Can you make them anticipate it less by varying it with other commands? Sit to down, sit to stay, sit to heel, sit to come, all mixed up?

Back
Top Bottom