dlhunicorn please help! Sick chick has developed large cyst on breast

californiachick74

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Southern California
dlhunicorn Im hoping you can help me again. You gave me some advice last week for my sick chick that was thought to possibly have had botulism but after reading your site I came to the conclusion she has crookneck. I have been following the suggestions of Alan Stanford and she is improving greatly! Though I noticed today she has a large cyst almost the size of a golfball on her right breat. Do you have any idea what this can be? Maybe this is whats causing her other issues...cyst pinching nerves..do you think thats possible? Anyways Im looking for some guidance again. If anyone has any idea what this may be and what I can do please leave me a message.

Oh I forgot to mention that she has suddenly started to eat her pine shavings in her box. I find this weird, does anyone have an explanation for this behavior?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a full crop! Take all feed away...leave her water for the night. In the morning if the lump has gone down, it is just a full crop. Hope this is all it is!

Quote:
Unfortunately..its not just her crop.
sad.png

Quote:
Can you explain to me what a full crop is? The other problem I have is we have been handfeeding her because she has crookneck. I cant leave water in her box because I am afraid she will roll forward into it and drown. Matter of a fact she hasnt been drinking much at all but has been getting electrolytes from the water I have been adding to her hand feeding formula.

Do make sure she is drinking enough water. If the thing you feel is in front of her keel, and hard, it might have become hard due to lack of water and it solidifying. Try to give her just water for a night to soften it up and see if it emptys.

It might be a buildup of the shavings in crop (unable to pass thru>please remove shavings if this is occuring) It might also be a "breast blister" this happens hen brds "rests" that area for too long in one spot... try a towel to help the keep chick propped up (but watch that it can not asphyxiate itself in it)
Really need a pic

Quote:
I did put her on a towel overnight to avoid her eating any more shavings. I alos did not feed her at all through the night. Put a bit of water in there for her but that was it. This morning she seems to be better. The cyst (which was the crop being full) has gone down in size and almost gone. Whats left is very small and gushy. Im thinking it was the shavings filling up inside her crop. Do you have any idea why she would start eating the shavings? Is it a deficiency of some sort or just a bad habit she has developed?

Also I was hoping you could tell me where I can get more prednisone. Having a hard time with this because its given by prescription only. I have about 1 weeks worth of med. left. Can anyone advise me where I can purchase a small amount more?

Back
Top Bottom