DLM and using Arc Coop Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunnyvalewarren, Mar 31, 2009.

1. sunnyvalewarren

sunnyvalewarren New Egg

Mar 30, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    I am thinking about building an Arc with this design: http://www.catawbacoops.com/

I
    am interested in using the DLM because I will need to keep the coop stationary for a couple of years. But I am new at this and still can't picture exactly how it will work.

I know the design will need some modification to hold the litter in place, but I have just had a hard time figuring out where it goes.

My questions:
    1. Where do I put the litter? In the roost and/or in the run?
    2. Do the chickens live in the litter all the time, or would they need an additional run to get away from it sometimes?
    3. With an additional run, or if the litter just goes in the roost, how do you clean the run?
    4. When the chickens go up to roost at night, do you close the ramp and then how do you keep the ramp clean?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I have read a lot and just couldn't figure this part out.
    Thanks!
    Marielle

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Hi and welcome!

I am not sure how that design works but I will answer your questions as best I can.

My questions:
    1. Where do I put the litter? In the roost and/or in the run? The litter would be inside and used for their bedding and in the nest box unless you chose straw for nests and something else for bedding/litter.

2. Do the chickens live in the litter all the time, or would they need an additional run to get away from it sometimes?

Preferred method if they will have outside time...4 sq ft minnimum per bird of floor space inside...if they are going to be confined inside 24/7 give them twice that amount per bird.

A covered run or free franging them is your choice. Depending on the number of bird you have will determine that. the arc you directed us too would be good for 2 chickens full time with some time to run around the yard. I would not put more in there than that personally.

3. With an additional run, or if the litter just goes in the roost, how do you clean the run?

I would not put bedding in the run and simply rake it to keep it clean. Relocate the poo to a compost pile for gardening.

4. When the chickens go up to roost at night, do you close the ramp and then how do you keep the ramp clean?

The chickens must be secured at night or they will get eaten by some predator. to clean your ramp you can use soap and water and scrub brush and disinfect it like you would anything else. I use vinegar/water mixed at 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar.

Look through the coop forum and also the coop designs link above this page on the very top line. Remember, your chickens are at risk from dogs, cats, raccoons, coyotes, possum, skunks, fox and birds of prey. Your run area for them must be secured to avoid the flying predators as well as those who will dig and those who will reach through the wire to grab a chicken. If you can imagine a one inch opening as in chicken wire and a full size chicken being pulled through that opening...it is a mess and horrible. So predator proofing, clean dry housing, fresh water, food and attention are all your chickens need.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Sunnyvalewarren !!

Wow somebody right from my old stomping grounds (I used to live in Mountain View : El Camino near Hwy 85 !!)...
    For everyone else here: there aren't really any varmits or predators in Mountain View as it's a pretty built up area, unless one of your neighbors has a dog that prowls yards and trash cans.

I think you would do ok with 2 or 3 small chickens, say bantams in that style coop if they could not free range. The litter goes up in the roosting area - if you can find a poultry supply place get a large bale of dustless pine shavings, they are WONDERFUL. You should rake the dirt every couple days in the run, the downstairs area, to keep things tidy, or if you can move the coop a bit say once a week. Of course if you have smaller chickens the problem is not so big. Being the weather is pretty warm there for the most part you would be ok leaving the ramp door to the upstairs open.

Good luck with your new coop and man it is a blast having chickens. Wait until you have your chicken's eggs !! (with the recent server upgrade it seems when I enter the word E G G S it changes it to rooster, no matter how I phrase the words around it... Will notify the mods).

What I wouldn't give to hit Tao Tao on Murphy Street for some Tao Tao Beef and their Chicken Salad...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by