DLM on dirt floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Blue_Myst, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm just curious, have any of you had success using the Deep Liter Method or even just plain ole' pine shavings in a coop with a dirt floor? I thought for the winter months I may use pine shavings instead of straw to make sure my hens stay warm enough.

Thanks! [​IMG]

Blue

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I have a new hen house in progress and that is exactly what I plan on doing...pine shavings on the dirt floor. Just make sure you have proper drainage away from your building for those monsoon rainy days, lol.

3. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I use straw on a dirt floor and mine seem warm and happy. [​IMG]

4. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

In our coop in Iowa we had a dirt foor and did the DLM. It was hands down the best coop I ever had.

I have read that in fact the DLM does BEST on a dirt floor.

There was everything on our floor, straw, hay, pine shavings. We'd keep piling it on. Never any smell. Very excellent. I miss that coop terribly.[​IMG]

HTH

MA

5. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens LOVE IT when I bring them in from their coop and put them in the deeply bedded horse stalls. There's probably a double benefit - they get the spilled grain, etc and I'm sure that the aeration that results from them scratching around is a good thing. Hubby thinks that the stalls are easier to fork out, after the hens have done their thing. [​IMG]

6. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks for the input! [​IMG] Glad to know that the DLM is possible with my coop, sounds like it'll make things much easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by