dlm poop door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheatham, Apr 16, 2008.

1. cheatham

cheatham Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    cheatham county
    i am going to try the deep litter method and am about to cut my poop doors , should they be 12 inches off the coop floor , and if so should there be a ramp ? also what are the dimensions of the door 12x12, 14x14?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I use the DLM also, this is my first year. We put our clean-out door (poop door) at floor level. The shavings are now well over it on the inside of the coop. I think that's going to work well as when I get ready to clean out next month I just need to open the door and push/shovel out all the shavings.

Our pop hole door (that the chickens use to go outside) is, I think, 12x14 (higher than wide). I have full size chickens although not the huge giants like Brahmas or Jersey Giants. My door is more than large enough for my girls and I am adding Brahmas this year so I wanted a larger door.

I use a ramp from the door to the ground. We made the ramp as the closing door also. So when we close up the ramp at night there isn't anything for raccoons to stand on and try to get into the door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by