DNA sexing

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
i did a search on BYC about how to sex silkies.....anyway, i came across a post about DNA testing and a link was supplied. i clicked on the link....and it sounds great! I'm going to have quite a few silkie hatching eggs, and i can only keep 3 - 4 pullets....and i already have a friend who can take the extras. but i'd hate to have so many silkies around for 5 to 6 months while i wait to see whether they're a roo or not!!
barnie.gif
so i was thinking of getting some of them DNA tested. BUT, i found out on the site that you have to PLUCK 2 feathers from the poor chicken! does anyone know what this will do to the bird? will he/she hate me forever and be afraid of me? will they bleed? is it quick, like pulling a hair from your head?
hu.gif

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Quote:
oooh post the link post the link please Id liek to look into that considering I have 13 silkies Id love NOT to wait 4-6 months to sex them!!

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
yeah, it's expensive alright. 20 bucks per bird. but i would just do a few.....to me, it would be worth it considering i've got 21 hatching eggs! i know, i shouldn't have bought that much. i bought 14 silkie eggs.....then a couple days later i came across showgirls! and i think they're the most beautiful chickens! my son says they look like a chicken from the dead.....LOL!
lol.png
so then i just HAD to order some showgirl eggs! i ordered 8....well, they could be showgirls, silkies, or somewhere in between......i'm hoping for just ONE showgirl pullet out of them. ANYWAY, i would hate to wait SOOOO long (6 months or so) before getting rid of most of these little guys. i'll be overrun with sweet silkies! here's the site:

http://www.dnasexing.com/bird-sexing-feathers.html

i also emailed them and asked them if it would be painful, if they would bleed, if they would still trust and love me afterword....or would i kinda have to retame them etc.....i probably won't hear back from them till tomorrow or so.....but i'll post their reply here.

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Quote:
I would totally do it if I had a really expensive bird to do it to. Maybe when I have pure lavs I would do it-if they looked amazing LOL..

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
wow! thanks for that website sfchixn! they do it with a blood sample from a clipped toenail at any age......i think what i'll do is pick a couple favorites and hope for the best....wow, it will be expensive though. i still worry about clipping their toenail! i should hope it stops bleeding soon!

sfchixn

Songster
11 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
Even better, they can perform DNA sexing with a piece of eggshell (with membrane attached) from a newly hatched chick. You can do this probably as soon as a chick starts to pip!

Valley Hatchery

Top Bottom