DNA sexing

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
i did a search on BYC about how to sex silkies.....anyway, i came across a post about DNA testing and a link was supplied. i clicked on the link....and it sounds great! I'm going to have quite a few silkie hatching eggs, and i can only keep 3 - 4 pullets....and i already have a friend who can take the extras. but i'd hate to have so many silkies around for 5 to 6 months while i wait to see whether they're a roo or not!!
barnie.gif
so i was thinking of getting some of them DNA tested. BUT, i found out on the site that you have to PLUCK 2 feathers from the poor chicken! does anyone know what this will do to the bird? will he/she hate me forever and be afraid of me? will they bleed? is it quick, like pulling a hair from your head?
hu.gif

Quote:
oooh post the link post the link please Id liek to look into that considering I have 13 silkies Id love NOT to wait 4-6 months to sex them!!

yeah, it's expensive alright. 20 bucks per bird. but i would just do a few.....to me, it would be worth it considering i've got 21 hatching eggs! i know, i shouldn't have bought that much. i bought 14 silkie eggs.....then a couple days later i came across showgirls! and i think they're the most beautiful chickens! my son says they look like a chicken from the dead.....LOL!
lol.png
so then i just HAD to order some showgirl eggs! i ordered 8....well, they could be showgirls, silkies, or somewhere in between......i'm hoping for just ONE showgirl pullet out of them. ANYWAY, i would hate to wait SOOOO long (6 months or so) before getting rid of most of these little guys. i'll be overrun with sweet silkies! here's the site:

http://www.dnasexing.com/bird-sexing-feathers.html

i also emailed them and asked them if it would be painful, if they would bleed, if they would still trust and love me afterword....or would i kinda have to retame them etc.....i probably won't hear back from them till tomorrow or so.....but i'll post their reply here.

Quote:
I would totally do it if I had a really expensive bird to do it to. Maybe when I have pure lavs I would do it-if they looked amazing LOL..

wow! thanks for that website sfchixn! they do it with a blood sample from a clipped toenail at any age......i think what i'll do is pick a couple favorites and hope for the best....wow, it will be expensive though. i still worry about clipping their toenail! i should hope it stops bleeding soon!

Even better, they can perform DNA sexing with a piece of eggshell (with membrane attached) from a newly hatched chick. You can do this probably as soon as a chick starts to pip!

Back
Top Bottom