DNA testing for breed?

mystil

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
West of England
Hello
I was wondering if anyone has ever thought of getting their geese DNA tested to see if they truly are the breed they were sold as?

I'm not even sure it is possible and what company would do it?

I was just speculating as I was sold some West of Englands recently, which are a rare breed in the UK and other than the persons word they were the right breed, how would you know? I know there are physical traits you could look at but that is not always fool proof, is it?

I know for a fact that mine are okay but it does make you wonder doesn't it?

I doubt that it is possible. First you'd have to have a correct set of primers, then an extensive library for comparison, and an acceptable defined amount of variation within the breed to assess "pureness". Because domestic geese, except for Africans and Chinese' are all derived from graylags, I would guess that the small amounts of variation would be detectable among breeds, and variation within a breed may well exceed variation between breeds.

Clint

I doubt that it is possible. First you'd have to have a correct set of primers, then an extensive library for comparison, and an acceptable defined amount of  variation within the breed to assess "pureness". Because domestic geese, except for Africans and Chinese' are all derived from graylags, I would guess that the small amounts of variation would be detectable among breeds, and variation within a breed may well exceed variation between breeds.

Clint
they say they can do it for dogs. They all came from one species of wolf. However when I had my dog and her son DNA tested, they came back not having any breeds in common so I'm skeptical.

Last edited:
No I did not get anywhere with the genetic side. I did however speak to the breeders and they confirmed that they were West of Englands so all okay.

Back
Top Bottom