DNA testing for breed?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mystil, Jul 24, 2013.

1. mystil

mystil Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    West of England
    Hello
    I was wondering if anyone has ever thought of getting their geese DNA tested to see if they truly are the breed they were sold as?

I'm not even sure it is possible and what company would do it?

I was just speculating as I was sold some West of Englands recently, which are a rare breed in the UK and other than the persons word they were the right breed, how would you know? I know there are physical traits you could look at but that is not always fool proof, is it?

I know for a fact that mine are okay but it does make you wonder doesn't it?

2. It does. I imagine it'd be expensive.

Aren't west of England's..... Pigeons? :lol: west of England tumblers? Or does west of England just like to name a bunch of things after it? :lol:

3. mystil

Apr 7, 2013
    West of England
    Lol.
    It is a rare breed of geese. Very old breed in the UK. Auto sexing.

Does anyone know a company that would do it?

4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    I doubt that it is possible. First you'd have to have a correct set of primers, then an extensive library for comparison, and an acceptable defined amount of variation within the breed to assess "pureness". Because domestic geese, except for Africans and Chinese' are all derived from graylags, I would guess that the small amounts of variation would be detectable among breeds, and variation within a breed may well exceed variation between breeds.

Clint

5. CarolinaSkies

CarolinaSkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    I'm curious what you found out about the DNA testing for your geese, as I was just thinking along the same lines only for my chickens.

6. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

they say they can do it for dogs. They all came from one species of wolf. However when I had my dog and her son DNA tested, they came back not having any breeds in common so I'm skeptical.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. mystil

Apr 7, 2013
    West of England
    No I did not get anywhere with the genetic side. I did however speak to the breeders and they confirmed that they were West of Englands so all okay.

8. CarolinaSkies

CarolinaSkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    Too bad...it seemed like a useful test.
    TY for response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by