1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dna testing on silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by realsis, Jan 18, 2013.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi everyone, I ordered three silkie chicks and had to have them DNA tested before they are sent out. Where I live there is no way I can have a roo. I'm really worried because if they are roos, I'll have to buy more chicks and do this process again,which is quite expensive and I'm not a wealthy person...i will find out next week the results.i really hate to think one spent all that money and might not even ever see my chicks. Seems like the only ones who well benifit is the farm i bought them from.. ..i know my chances are 50/50 but I've never been a very lucky person. I guess I'm just feeling a bit discouraged. I really pray they are femalefemales. I was just looking for some encouragememt. Please wish me luck!or even better please pray they turn up female! If not i must start all over and i can't really afford it...i am very much looking foward to raising my chicks. Ive already bought a hen house,a run,a brooder,bedding, food, water and feeders,...ect... i will really be crushed if they turn up make. Thanks for listening to my story and if anyone has words of encouragement, please reply. Like i said I'm feeling defeated already, just knowing my luck.. thanks for listening.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If it's that much of an issue why not buy older pullets, so you know the gender?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    That would have been the SMART thing to do. looking back now. I guess because im a new bee at this that didnt cross my mind. but great advice if they turn up male. I just might do that. The pullets were far more expensive but i think after going through this, It would have been best. I really did want the expirence of raising the baby chicks though. who knows, maybe il get lucky .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by