Do’s and Dont’s, winter chicken flock

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Hey! its getting into winter (for us anyway) and its super chilly! I noticed a lot of people have this problem so heres some advice of do’s and dont’s i have for you.. its gonna be pretty long so get comfy.

Do’s

DO rub petroleum jelly/coconut oil on their comb and waddle, this prevevents their waddle and comb cracking and drying out! I mix some water with it to help it rub better. please dont use this for frostbite prevention,

DO insulate your coop, this is very important, not only does this work as a extra soundproof for when your rooster crows, it also keeps it very warm during winters!

DO make sure you have enough chickens. This is a bit important, i recommend atleast having 4 so they can keep heat together. Also, so they have some friends to snuggle down with and arent lonely!

DO give lots of bordem breakers so they have things to do, hanging treats and interactive diys work wonderfully.

DO give them lots of attention and patience, this is very important to insure they dont get into fights, get coop fever *cabin fever, aggressive when locked up to much* or are just bored/stressed in general
-/-/-

Dont’s

DONT rub petroleum jelly or coconut oil for winter when its really cold, this Can actually cause it.

DONT use wrong insulation, this may sound a bit hard to do. But there are certain ones to do, do research to figure out which one is best for you and your chickens.

DONT keep them in the coop the whole time, this can make them do fights, do aggression, and get stressed.

DONT keep them alone with no warmth (highly recommend thermometer)

hope this helped!

Dont think warm, that leads to trapping in moisture when you try and trap the heat.
Do thing DRY, DRY Chickens are warm chickens.

Do know that chickens keep themselves warm. Think of sitting with someone at a football game, each in a down coat. Yeah you are not sharing body heat, at best, you are blocking the wind.

Do block the wind, but DONT plug up the coop. Ventilations lets the moisture out.

Mrs K

Dont think warm, that leads to trapping in moisture when you try and trap the heat.
Do thing DRY, DRY Chickens are warm chickens.

Do know that chickens keep themselves warm. Think of sitting with someone at a football game, each in a down coat. Yeah you are not sharing body heat, at best, you are blocking the wind.

Do block the wind, but DONT plug up the coop. Ventilations lets the moisture out.

Mrs K
Yep, ventilations also prevent amonia build up and help them breathe properly, warm can be good depending on what breed you have though, if they have little feathers and have problems with body heat/are younger. But dry is best!

Hey! its getting into winter (for us anyway) and its super chilly! I noticed a lot of people have this problem so heres some advice of do’s and dont’s i have for you.. its gonna be pretty long so get comfy.

Do’s

DO rub petroleum jelly/coconut oil on their comb and waddle, this prevevents their waddle and comb cracking and drying out! I mix some water with it to help it rub better. please dont use this for frostbite prevention,

DO insulate your coop, this is very important, not only does this work as a extra soundproof for when your rooster crows, it also keeps it very warm during winters!

DO make sure you have enough chickens. This is a bit important, i recommend atleast having 4 so they can keep heat together. Also, so they have some friends to snuggle down with and arent lonely!

DO give lots of bordem breakers so they have things to do, hanging treats and interactive diys work wonderfully.

DO give them lots of attention and patience, this is very important to insure they dont get into fights, get coop fever *cabin fever, aggressive when locked up to much* or are just bored/stressed in general
-/-/-

Dont’s

DONT rub petroleum jelly or coconut oil for winter when its really cold, this Can actually cause it.

DONT use wrong insulation, this may sound a bit hard to do. But there are certain ones to do, do research to figure out which one is best for you and your chickens.

DONT keep them in the coop the whole time, this can make them do fights, do aggression, and get stressed.

hope this helped!

Do’s

-/-/-

Dont’s

hope this helped!

Attachments

• 20220101_082017.jpg
    20220101_082017.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom