1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do 10 wk old chicks get colds? runny nose, watery eyes; What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fiddlechicks, Sep 22, 2010.

1. fiddlechicks

fiddlechicks New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    How do we know it's a cold? Do we treat it? Is it contagious?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens don't get colds. The respiratory diseases they do get are usually contagious. Isolate any sick birds from the flock. I've never had any respiratory issues in my birds, so I am not much help. Sorry.

Bump.

3. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    You should put the little chick on Baytril or Tylan. I rescue a lot of chickens and half of them come to me with respiratory problems. Yes, respiratory infections can be contagious.

4. fiddlechicks

fiddlechicks New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Thanks. Eyes and runny nose are better. But still sounds raspy sometimes and does something like a sneeze. Any other suggestions?

5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    What kind of bedding do you use? When scratching about birds raise a lot of dust and chickens being chickens don't care who is behind them when they start slinging dirt or shavings about.

Be on the lookout though for any other symptoms such as raspy breathing and such.

6. fiddlechicks

fiddlechicks New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    We don't have any dust problems yet. This is a new coop with a concrete floor and a pea gravel run. We've only had our 2 pullets for a week. The 10 week old buff orpington pullet has had an intermittent cough or sneeze since the day we got her. Likely a little sick when we got her, but the seller is not near us. Runny eyes / nose got worse after a couple of days, but are now better.

At this point we are just trying to feed them well, give them access to the yard and bugs and generally keep them happy which they seem to be. The cough / sneeze and occasional raspiness is still about the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by