Do 2 weeks old checks (just got) know where the water is?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pooponshoe, Dec 19, 2007.

1. pooponshoe

pooponshoe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I put their beaks in the water, but I have not seen them actually drink yet.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Maybe you can tap on the water dish, and make little clucking sounds...worked for me. Im pretty sure they wil find it tho. Congrats on the new babies!

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sometimes marbles help to attract them to it as well. They like shiny stuff. I would think they are drinking tho. You have to watch a long time to catch them..they don't drink constantly.

Jody

4. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    mine don't drink nearly as much as they eat, so you may have to watch them for a while, but they should certainly not take long to figure it out!

5. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    I only ever see my chickys drink a few times a day. Usually right after feeding times and first thing in the morning. But then they're freeranging so they keep busy.

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    They should know where it is, you probably just don't see them drink.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    When I get chicks, I lightly dip their beaks in the water each time I check on them just to make sure, and the color red seems to attract them, like the color of the bowl part. If one starts to drink the rest usually follow.
    Last night I move my chicks to a bigger home, and hours went by before I realized that they had to be taught again where everything was! Once I dipped their beaks again, they drank so much they were drooling. They just wouldn't stop. So if you move the water, show them where it is again

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    They would if you would stop hiding it. If your worried just dip thier beaks in the water again whats the worst your gonna do? Maybe give them a complex so every time they see you coming they will run and get a drink so you wont chase them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by