Do 3-week old ducklings bond as well as the newly hatched ones?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckieLover8, Mar 8, 2015.

1. DuckieLover8

DuckieLover8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Hi, I'm looking to get some welsh harlequin ducklings. I was wondering if you buy them when they are about 3-weeks old or older, whether or not they will bond with you as well as the day-old ones.[​IMG] Thanks!!!

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    They won't have imprinted on you, so they won't be quite as close, but with lots of time and attention they can form a bond with you!

3. DuckieLover8

Jan 26, 2015
    Thank you! [​IMG]

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Mo problem! Now when can we see some photos of those cute little fuzzbutts? :p

5. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    It will make very little difference as ducks. We have three sets of ducks:

1. Tella, Ettie - we got them when they were 3 months old. They were scared of us and avoided us as much as possible.

2. Rhiannon, Kaine, Snow, Gretta, Roxette, Dove, Entie, Pocahontas, Tevye - We got them shipped as day old ducks. They imprinted on us, but they had lots of litter mates so they were somewhat cuddly, but at 8 weeks they turned into ducks and were somewhat scared of us.

3. Noir & Mystique - We got them shipped as day old ducks. They imprinted on us, and since there were only two of them, they spent more time with us than in the brooder. They would sit on our shoulders and watch TV, or hang out with us on towels on the couch or floor. When we weren't at work, they were with us and were complete snuggle-bugs. But at 8 weeks they turned into ducks and were somewhat scared of us.

Now to be fair, when they turned into ducks, their environment changed from brooder/house to outside (which they loved, but was different.)

All of them have been outside for 8 months or more.... We spend time with them, give them treats and try not to be too scary.

They are all very friendly ducks who will come over and visit with us on their own and will mob us if we have treats. They don't really want to be picked up, but they aren't scared once they are picked up. We can walk right past where they are laying down and come within 6" of them as long as we don't bend down to pick them up, they won't move/run away. They will pick and peck at our clothes and shoes and hands just to be social. There is no way today anyone could tell which ducks came from group 1, 2 or 3 by their behavior or actions.

And even @Amykins ' Wobbles [​IMG] the perfect duck situation (Hatched and imprinted on day one. Brooded as a single duck so he thinks he's a people. House duck with a constant companion) drew blood at 8 weeks. <hmmm, yummy beauty mark [​IMG] >

So enjoy your duckling. Then create a wonderful relationship with your duck.

Oh, yeah... X2 on the fuzz butt pics [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  6. DuckieLover8

Jan 26, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, I don't know if any of you would see this since it has been a while, but I haven't checked this thread. All who may see these adorable little sweeties- enjoy![​IMG][​IMG] They are Welsh Harlequins.

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are adorable.. Congrats on your lil ones

@DuckieLover8

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  8. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    By the way.... How is your ducky relationship?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  9. DuckieLover8

Jan 26, 2015
    Thanks! And they were fantastic... they would eat out of my hand and everything. I could even hold them- as adult ducks! Even though I got them at 3 weeks old, they were still pretty affectionate (well, for ducks, anyway[​IMG]). I would recommend Welsh Harlequin ducks to any duck owner. Best breed I have ever experienced!!!

10. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Awesome! I figured they would be as friendly as they were brought up to be. I think imprinting is over rated for ducks since in the wild they don't treat their parents any different than any other ducks once they are grown. Geese are another story and I don't know anything about chickens. I think hand rearing ducklings makes a big difference as does spending time with and handling your adult ducks. I only have one Welsh Harlequin and I love her dearly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by