do 4 ducks and a newly seeded grass run make a good mix?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Silkie-Feet, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    So, the run outside my coop hasn't had dirt in it since it was built (about 15 years ago). As you can see in the following picture, my run is giant. The coop is just as big as the run, so I split the coop in half. I thought ducks wouldn't eat that much grass being feed with automatic feeders. Therefore, I decided to let my chickens free range, but keep the ducks (4) in the run. About a month ago I planted this grass, since then I haven't let anything in the run. Will the ducks end up killing all this grass when I let them in it? is there anything i'm missing in my run for ducks? thank you [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yes! The ducks not only eat the grass, but they will make a mess of the pen. I have a HUGE pen for mine, and it was completely destroyed within a few weeks. I keep their pool out there and had to dig around it to keep the mess in one area. The rest of it is just dirt now. The grass that they didn't eat got trampled, and along with all the poo, the remaining grass had no chance!

If you have the space to do so, I would suggest free-ranging them with your chickens. You say you only have 4 ducks, so you can keep them in the run. It will probably take them longer to make a mess of it than mine did, I had 12 in my huge pen. As long as it doesn't rain too much, my pan stays dry (except around the pool which is why I dug a trench!).

3. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    I don't have to worry about drainage, my coop is on a hillside. I was just wondering if the grass could manage living with 4 ducks. So how long do you think i should wait until i let my ducks in the run? I don't want to put the ducks out there if they will kill it all. my plan b was maybe to put button quail out there?

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

There might be grass in there now but given time you wont have any grass..or very little grass. Come winter any slight dip in the ground is going to collect water, they will dabble and before long that 3 inch dip will turn into a 2 foot crater and all the grass round it is going to die. I have the same problem but they will just have to be done with it. I have tried putting down grass seed every week but they ate that too coz I dont have long enogh grass there to hide it once i put in down!!!

5. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    I had exactly the same problem and to be honest there is nothing you can really do about it. Ducks will chomp their way through the grass, poop it all up and trample on it, within a few weeks it will just be all gone. My idea though, if this helps, its to build a second run, one that I can put them in for alternating weeks or months, so that way, the grass in each pen has a chance to grow back through. If you spray the poop down in the run they are not in it will get washed into the grass and the grass will grow back amazing! its a big project but will be worth when its done, hope this helps!

6. gofasterstripe

Yep I have a baby run too that the ducklings and geese have been in for the last 3 weeks, the goslings have eaten all the grass so today I moved them and the small lot will get hoses and raked out and grass seed put down and hosed every night, then in about 3 weeks the newer ducklings will go in there...its a never ending story

7. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    Do you think 2 ducks could live in the run and coop without causing my grass to die? Just trying to find some way to keep ducks and grass togther [​IMG]

8. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    [​IMG] ??????????ANYONE??????????? [​IMG]

9. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I would say that two ducks in that area should be fine. They will keep the grass short but shouldn't kill it all.

10. gofasterstripe

Depends on how big the run is and if they are going to be in it 24/7 365. I would hose it down every day and if possible if you get alot of rain, once a month spread a load of grass seads so the grass stays

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by