1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Do 7 wk old chicks need food and water at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stampntam, Jun 23, 2010.

1. stampntam

stampntam Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I am trying to incorporate my 12 week old chicks and 7 week old chicks but I know the 7 week old chicks are still too small for all of them to be together inside the coop. So I put the 7 week old chicks in a pet carrier inside the coop for the night. ( only 3 of 7 week old chicks) Do I need to put water and food inside the pet carrier for them at night? I let them all out in the morning to eat and drink and the older ones free range. (I still have them separated during the day too but they can see each other. thanks

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Songster

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    they will be fine without food at night but i think you should keep water in there all the time

3. stampntam

stampntam Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    okay, thanks I just have to figure out how to attach it to something so they don't knock it over. They like to sit on top of it!

4. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Songster

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    your welcome
    yeah they do always figure out how to do everything they are not supposed too lol

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If you are using a standard pet carrier that has a wire door, you can buy clip on "half-moon" shaped dishes that clip on the door. I bought a pair at Atwoods (similiar to a Tractor Supply) for about $3. That's what I use when I have a hen that needs to be isolated in a dog kennel.

6. stampntam

stampntam Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    Gritsar thank you and yes it is a standard pet carrier with metal door, I am going to go to Tractor Supply! I wonder if they may be cheaper at a pet store. Didn't think of that, woohoo! Road trip

7. kywest

kywest In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    central Ohio
    I did the same with my new girls. I highly recommend a large rabbit water bottle instead of a cup - much less mess!

8. stampntam

stampntam Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    will they know how to get the water from a rabbit water bottle? The kind with the metal ball in the end?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by