Do all banties screech?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Carrie Lynn, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My Bantam Leghorn pullet screeches like crazy.
    She can sound so distraught that I thought she was in pain for the longest time when she went off like that. She has a cute little "beep, beep, beep" voice when she is happily scratching around or eating. But, if she wants something (like food or to be let out, or attention) she screeches loudly and horribly. It is amazing considering her size---about 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound (never weighed her).
    Is this common among banties or is she just an odd bird? What are their voices usually like? Are Leghorns noisy to begin with?
    My standards, a BA and a RIR don't make nearly the noise she does!
    I love her anyway, she is so sweet and cute and comical.

Carrie

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    I've noticed the same thing with my silkies(both roos as I found out today) and my other bantie whos a hen. They kind of sound like squeaky toys.
    I don't think its just the leghorn breed. All the leghorns I've had have been pretty calm
    [​IMG]

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    most of my OEGB girls screech when i come to their pens... they always think i have worms or roaches in my hands for them... today i felt bad to disappoint them, so i went back inside and got them a couple of juicy ripe bananas...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by