Do all BR chick pullets have gray on their legs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Carrie Lynn, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I acquired two pullet chicks (I hope).
    Do all BR pullet chicks have that gray oloring on their legs? One has gray legs but yellow feet so I'm a bit concerned...
    Has anyone had a yellow legged chick that turned out to be a pullet? Just curious, I know there exceptions to chick sexing rules of thumb.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Pictured would be helpfull, and the color of legs cannot tell you the sex of a chicken, Im sorry.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

a picture of my BR roos, from last year, they ended up with all yellow legs...post a pic, maybe we can help more.

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I'll get some pics tomorrow, please watch for them, thanks!

5. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    From dealing with my own BRs we found that the pullets had darker feathering and more of a black wash on their legs (yellow base). The males had lighter, more gray feathering and a gray wash on their legs. By 4-5 weeks it was pretty obvious who was who. Also, when they are very young chicks the males have a bigger white spot on their head while the females have no spot or a much more faint one. If I had known that BRs can be sexed (somewhat accurately) by those spots before I got my 4 chicks I would have made better decisions. I ended up with 2 pullets and 2 cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by