1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all chickens have big waddles before they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by salemskies, Feb 7, 2009.

1. salemskies

salemskies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    I have some EE's that egg laying age but they don't have much at all in the waddle department? Are some girls just like that or do they have to have big waddles? I'm just wondering if this is an EE thing. I have around 20 and the most I've gotten so far is 3 eggs in one day. It's rarely in the 30's around here since I live in Southern California, so I'm trying to figure this out.

Thanks.

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    not ver large wattles but a change in the colr from pink to red.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    as far as I know, waddle size has no bearing on egg laying..

I'm sure somebody will dispute me on this, though..

read some of the hundreds of past posts about chickens not laying.. apply the information to your chickens

4. jenjen

jenjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon House, Ca.
    I too asked this question last summer. My EE's all lay but you can not see their wattles. I was told it was because of their tufts around their ears. I don't know....... I just know that they have no visable wattles like the other chickens

5. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    The color of the comb is the indicator that laying is near. Since wattles vary among breeds I would not use that as my clue.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    EEs' muffs and beards usually cover the wattles, and some birds just never get very big combs or wattles.

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    My experience with my EE's and the many post I've read about the EE's they seem to take a loooooooooong time to start laying. Mine were 6+ months before laying. I don't see waddles on mine very well and as mentioned it is the red color that means they are a point of lay. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

8. salemskies

salemskies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    That's good to know because I thought maybe mine were just weird!! I got them somewhere around July and they weren't little chickies-they were young but feathered out. I just want to see some colored eggs already [​IMG] I have somewhere around 20 chickens and I only just started getting 3 a day!!

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Henry'schickens :

My experience with my EE's and the many post I've read about the EE's they seem to take a loooooooooong time to start laying. Mine were 6+ months before laying. I don't see waddles on mine very well and as mentioned it is the red color that means they are a point of lay. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Not so. They are mutts, therefore they are completely variable. Our EEs laid before anyone else. Besides, even within a breed each hen is different.​

10. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by