Do all chickens have seizures when they die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyAnimalGirl, Aug 19, 2010.

1. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Or is it normal for a chicken to convulse or seize when dying?
    My cochin just died after expelling her crop and her death was just horrifying. I'm kinda glad shes gone cause she had to feel awful, i'm sure she's in a better place!![​IMG]

2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Being a nurse, I can just say that it is normal when a person or animals dies, that they have muscle spasms that look very much like a convulsion. It is just a biological reaction to the lack of O2 getting to muscle at the end. Hope this helps. So sorry.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, they usually do, but I've had a couple who just closed their eyes and drifted away. It's heart-wrenching to see those last spasms, I know.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    She was gone when the convulsions started. Same as if the head had been removed when processing.

Though this is the norm I have had a couple die without the spasms. A wyandotte died of heat stoke. She was running and just fell forward. Not a single spasm. Another died on the nest from heat as well. She had her head on the side of the crate like she was sleeping, but was gone. I didn't witness her die, but she was in a 'calm' position.

Matt

5. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Gosh, that's crazy. For everyone. I've always had trouble keeping birds alive, if its any other animal i can nurse them back in a heartbeat. I guess birds are a lot more fragile huh?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If something dies and there is still ATP in the tissue, it will spasm. ATP is what allows the muscle motors to work. Humans at least, have about 30 seconds or so of ATP and the precursors in our muscles held in reserve. When energy is gone, movement will also be depleted.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Every animal I've ever shot also has had convulsions, not just chickens. I think it's just a myth that we believe that things just fall over dead like they do on tv. Real life death usually isn't that peaceful.

8. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    I wish it was that peaceful! especially for pets! I dont really think it's the death that bother's me that bad, it's more that I feel responsible. Now I need a new gf for my silkie roo! He's all alone (except for the 40 something chicks and dogs I have lol)

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Chicken deaths never seem to be pretty but I believe it is an indication 'that they are already dead' if that's any comfort. They die and then it's just reflex.

10. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Ha, well I definitely knew that she was dead. I wish she wasn't flopping around on my kitchen counter though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by