Do all chickens HAVE to roost?

ProwseKM

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
We have a banty rooster that we've separated from our hens because he came to us with a hurt leg and it's just not healing by having him in our hen house that is elevated...so we've separated him in another little run with a hut that is ground level.
A coworker wants to give us 3 Polish hens that have been picked on by their house mates for the past 6 months.
We're thinking that we could put those 3 little hens in with the little, lame rooster and they might all be happy.
The issue/question I have is the little hut that we have for the rooster doesn't have a roost in it...
Do All chickens HAVE TO roost or would they be ok in the little hut with our rooster?

They will be fine on the ground but if you have any thing like waters and/or feeders they will probably roost on top but poop down the side.
Hope this helps = /

They don't have to roost but it is in there nature to get as high as possible to sleep so they will climb on any thing they can if there is no roost bar there

They'll be fine without a roost, but as others have said, my try to perch on the waterer or feeder instead. You'll have to watch that with your rooster also, since he probably shouldn't be jumping down from wherever he decides to roost. You can fix this problem fairly easily by removing the feed and water if they are roosting on them at night.

I have a group of pullets that's decided not to roost at all to sleep. They all pile together on the floor in the corner.

Back
Top Bottom