Do all chickens molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by andythescot, Nov 28, 2010.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    I know all birds have to molt, but do "new" chickens molt? As in, birds who are less than a year old?

Thank you all! xx

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    eventually they will moult to replace feathers, all birds moult we probably just don't see it.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    The first year mine molted only a small amt. Just a feather here and there but this second and third year they molt more. It did not affect the laying my first year either. This year my older hens looked pitiful and acted like they were sick for a bit. They are now getting their new feathers in. Thank goodness, I have young hens laying by this fall. Occ. I will get an egg from the other hens. Hugh ones. I have to use a red light in my coops to keep the water from freezing . I think last year that kept my hens laying. I will look into some other way to keep the water unfrozen. I really do not like the idea of light for them at night. Gloria Jean

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I had 2 of mine that molted when they were 9 months old. One was a hard molt and the other was a 1/2 molt.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i believe they all do molt. different times tho. i have 11 chickens, not all are molting. some finished just in time for the cold.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My birds went through a mini-molt their first fall/winter. It was barely noticeable and did not affect their laying at all. The second year molt was much more dramatic. (I had one bird drop just about all her feathers overnight. She looked ridiculous and was very grumpy about it.) Every year their molts have gotten more impressive. This year's molt was nuts! I had someone look at my birds and ask me if they were dying. I said "No, but it sure looks that way, doesn't it?"

All birds will molt as needed. How much they molt is dependent on how much feather damage they have, age, overall health, stress levels and weather conditions.

7. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have a RIR that is ten months old going through a mini molt. She is relatively bare on the head and neck right now, but still laying. She is grumpy and stand offish though.

8. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Okey doke! Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by