Do all chickens roost?

hagadorn6

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Hi my hubby brought home 3 chickens and I totally have no clue, neither does he. We put a roost in the coop, but they all three cuddle together on the floor in the back corner of the coop to sleep. Is that normal?

Could it be because the woman who sold them to us did not have roosts for them, so they just got used to not roosting? We put them on the roost and they just jump off. I just figured that all chickens would roost...

Depends, I guess. When mine were about 3 months old they jumped on the roost a few times but never slept on it. They preferred to sleep all huddled together on a corner of a shelf. I did not put them up to roost. They figured it out and started roosting on their own when they were about 4 1/2 months old. I recently moved them into a larger coop and they did not try to roost there. I waited until dark and put them on the roost. They did not jump off the roost in the dark coop. After 3 nights they all roost on their own.
Also, what do they roost on???? When I got the chickens first I went with the book advise and used a 2" round roost. As mentioned, they figured it out after a while. In the bigger coop I used a flat 4" wide board (better in cold climate to prevent frostbite on their toes....they can roost and cover their feet completely with their belly/feathers). I think my chickens would have taken to roosting sooner if they would have had a wider board.....
smile.png

When I first got my hens they all huddled together on the floor. Now some of them use the roost, some huddle on the floor, and some sleep in the nesting box. I figure whatever makes them happy, makes me happy.

I do the dame just let them sleep where ever makes them happy. Some use the roost some huddle on the floor some in the nest boxes. Just have to clean the nest boxes every day.

Normally they figure out what the roost is for themselves. It is just natural for them to roost up high where it is safe at night.

I usually introduce mine to the roost when bringing newbies in and they'll grab hold and then fly down... later I might find them back up, but ultimately in the end mine have all roosted.

However, today I got a silkie and when I put her up there she didn't even have a clue to hold on. I felt bad because she slipped down and bonked her head on the waterer. She went straight to eating so I guess she was OK. Worried me for a moment though.
roll.png

My ladies are in a converted pigeon coop. There is a shelf for take-off/landing (I covered the holes with netting due to the Banty and baby chicks fitting through) Anyway, they fell in love with the shelf straight away, and have been roosting there ever since.

The one accommodation I needed to make was to make a ramp up to the shelf. They really wanted badly to roost and would have a hard time getting on the shelf without falling and feathers flying everywhere. To say the least it was entertaining to watch them trying to get arranged up there.
pop.gif

Now they are very orderly in getting up there to roost. The new girls figure out the routine very quickly once they see the older girls do it. I did have to expand the shelf due to its popularity. I have no problems with roosting in nesting boxes because I keep them low.

While the urge to roost is instinctive, the ability to roost is learned. Whether you want to help them or just let them figure it out themselves is up to you. As long as they're in a safe place (coop) and perches are available for their use, you can decide how you want to approach it.

Back
Top Bottom