Do all chickens slow down egg production in the winter?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by no-roo-stew, Jan 23, 2014.

1. no-roo-stew

no-roo-stew New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    Western Connecticut
    Hello All,
    New to the site, my name is Chris, and thought it might be a good place to answer some of my questions. I am a second time chicken hand, my first flock was killed by a raccoon family when the pullets were 4 month old.
    I learned a lot with them and remedied my short comings in my planning, namely an automatic coop door.
    Got the new flock at one day old on October 1, 2012. My hens are 16 months old now and they have given me roughly 5 eggs a day with 8 ladies. Now I'm down to 2 or 3 a day for the last 2 months. Is this normal for winter or is it the excessively cold winter we all are having? I have a 40W lamp in the hen house on a timer that provides them roughly 12 hours of combined light. Always ample food and a 3 gallon water font over a ceramic heater.

Thanks for any ideas and comments.

Chris.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It isn't a matter of the cold weather as much as the darkness of winter. We're below zero, night after night yet our pullets are laying very well. We provide no supplemental heat at all.

First year pullets generally lay well through their first winters. Second winter? Not so much. The birds just rest. They'll lay again as the days grow longer in daylight again. This is nature. The chicken has a light receptor in their skull and it regulates the ovarian function. You have a choice. Add a few hours of light "therapy" or just wait until longer days of spring.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV

I read that they require 14 hours of light to keep them going and that it takes a couple weeks of that to get them going again. Add z couple hours and see if that helps. Also, fermented feed is suppose to help. I just started fermenting last week so I can't say yet if it helps.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Chris, welcome to BYC. It's time for your hens to take a break. Their age plus shortened day length are impacting their egg laying. They will resume egg laying as the day length increases.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by