1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all chickens usually die with air sacculitus??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Feb 21, 2014.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    I had a rooster pass away last summer with a respiratory infection. I took him to the vet they gave us antibiotics. He passed away anyway. I had a hen get sick with something I think wrong with her crop the vet thought it could be blockage. I gave her 2 different kinds of antibiotics one by shot and one by mouth. she died anyway. now I have a hen ( Ethel) with a possible air sacculitus. the vet gave us antibiotics. we tried to give it to her by mouth when we got back from the vet. it stressed her breathing so much that she was struggling to get her breath she was a little blue. I told my husband I did not want to do that to her again. I have been putting it in her food and she eats some of it but not all of it. I have put an antibiotic in all their water called Duramycin. It says on the package that is for air sacculitis control. she drinks and eats. so do yall think that between her getting some in her food and some in the water that will be enough to help her? My chickens are pets so its very important to me. I don't want to try to give it to her straight in her mouth anymore. I am so rock bottom with this because it seems that even when I give them antibiotics they pass away anyway. so that's why I am asking do they usually always die with this? I hate to make her take it straight in the mouth because it puts so much stress on her breathing. she rest a lot but still is out and about with everybody scratching and eating. she even pecks a head ever once in a while. she is not as active as her usual self. I just want to cry. by the way they are all three red blue laced wynodottes and she is around going on 3. the other two that passed were wynodottes.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you are the one whose hen your vet put on sulfameth, right? The problem here is that you are undertreating with sulfameth, and she is maybe or maybe not getting enough Duramycin. I would concentrate on one antibiotic, and leave it at that. The problem with sick birds is that they don't eat or drink well enough to get enough of a drug, and under-treatment can cause antibiotic-resistant diseases. Injectable drugs like Tylan50 can be given as a shot once a days for 5 days, and it's over. Tablets are easily given in the back of the throat, and sulfameth is available in tablet form. How many days were you supposed to treat her, and do you think she has had enough?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    yes I am the same one. I wanted to post this question. there wasn't a big response to the other one so I thought I would open another post. I want to add that before this I noticed a lot of feed in her poop not the regular looking poop it was loaded with feed. I posted that on here to about if it was normal. now this morning straight out of the coop her crop feels like a ball and its supposed to be empty in the mornings right? also, where can I get that shot you are talking about the tylan 50? can u get that at a feed store? she is supposed to be treated 10 days. well, I know she isn't getting the full dose cause she doesn't eat all the food I put it in but she eats a good bit of it just not all of it. 10 days one cc. I wanted a shot I had don't that before but he wanted me to take this. I don't know if the shots are more expensive and this was cheaper. I would be willing to pay a little more for the shot. I have her some bread, scratch and oatmeal with meds in it this morning. I brought her in my house cause usually when they get up they are ready to eat and get a big drink. so she has her water and food and is just standing there. what about the crop?

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    she is eating now.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan50 is found at most feed stores such as Tractor Supply. Dosage is 1/4 ml for bantam, 1/2 ml for under 5 lb, and 1 ml if over 5 lb daily for 5 days. Give in a different side of the breast muscle every day. Is the crop big and spongy, or hard? If it is spongy she may have crop stasis or sour crop if there is a sour odor. Sometimes they will get a fungal or yeast overgrowth there, and water, massage, and sometimes antifungal medicines such as Nystatin or Medistatin, miconazole suppositories are given orally to treat. Here is some info on crop problems: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    no the crop isn't spongy. its not real real hard its like a good day of eating I guess is the best way to describe it. there is no odor and believe me I would recognize it. I had one that is what she passed away from the smell was so HORRIBLE it was hard to stay in the same room with her.

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    she has been in my house since around 7 this morning and hasn't pooped. she will walk a min but she mostly wants to sit. I called the feed store and they do carry the tylan5o.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not the most experienced with crop problems, but when they get sick from one illness, they sometimes have problems emptying the crop, and the problem can also affect the lower digestive system (proventriculus and gizzard) too. It's sometimes from fungus, sometimes bacterial, and it can occur with respiratory diseases, egg yolk peritonitis, Mareks disease, and others. Since she has been on antibiotics, given her probiotics in a powder, buttermilk, or yogurt may help. Don't give her whole grains, since she will probably not digest things other than eggs, feed mixed with water, applesauce, yogurt, and things like that.

1 person likes this.
  9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    we just put in the first shot of Tylan50. im going to try not to worry about the med from the vet. this sounds better from what the guy at the feed store talked. thank you soooo much for letting me know about this it is so much easier on her. I will update daily hope to

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Good news on Ethel :) she seems to be better today. I hope she is mending.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by