Do all drakes do a "victory lap" after mating? ;)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by off-grid hen, Dec 24, 2015.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a drake, whose name is Jake. The duck pool is outside the run as of now. When things start freezing, I will put a smaller pool in the run.

I am new to ducks, and I love my two. Every morning, when I let chickens and ducks out of the run, Daisy and Jake head straight for the pool and watch excitedly while I put fresh water in the pool. As soon as the water level is high enough, they both jump in and do their, um... thing. Then Jake jumps out and runs a lap around the pool with his head down. My husband calls it his victory lap.

Do all drakes do this? I'd love to know! [​IMG]

Update: I told my husband I was posting this. He told me that this morning when he went to let everyone out of the run, he saw the two ducks near the water bowl. Apparently, they couldn't wait for their morning "thing". Daisy straightened her head over the water bowl, they did it, then Jake ran around the water bowl! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Yes that is the victory lap, my drake does it too.!! And my gander actually bellows out a victory yell.

3. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY

Wonderful! I knew I'd like having ducks, but had no idea about this. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. duck dynasty

duck dynasty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Not only does my drake do a victory lap, but when one of my females mounts another female, the one on top also does a victory lap. Very strange.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh them girls . lol

6. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY

Ha!

7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Oh yeah, Wobbles does this too. IT's hilarious when it happens in their nighttime crate, 'cuz all he can do is run in little circles. Sometimes he even bowls right over Bean!

8. revans2003

revans2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    Best discussion ever

9. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Question;i have 3 drakes who haven't join our flock.And they have these time s where they do the victory lap,for no reason.They all get excited then do the victory lap.Also,why do hens mount eachother?

10. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Yes, sometimes they just get excited for no reason and run around like that. At least, mine does. As for hens, well...they just do. I've tried asking them but no dice. Even Bean will mount her little stuffed duck toy sometimes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by