Do all drakes do a "victory lap" after mating? ;)

off-grid hen

Songster
Mar 1, 2011
Upstate NY
I have a drake, whose name is Jake. The duck pool is outside the run as of now. When things start freezing, I will put a smaller pool in the run.

I am new to ducks, and I love my two. Every morning, when I let chickens and ducks out of the run, Daisy and Jake head straight for the pool and watch excitedly while I put fresh water in the pool. As soon as the water level is high enough, they both jump in and do their, um... thing. Then Jake jumps out and runs a lap around the pool with his head down. My husband calls it his victory lap.

Do all drakes do this? I'd love to know!
1f600.png

Update: I told my husband I was posting this. He told me that this morning when he went to let everyone out of the run, he saw the two ducks near the water bowl. Apparently, they couldn't wait for their morning "thing". Daisy straightened her head over the water bowl, they did it, then Jake ran around the water bowl!
1f602.png

Last edited:
I have a drake, whose name is Jake. The duck pool is outside the run as of now. When things start freezing, I will put a smaller pool in the run.

I am new to ducks, and I love my two. Every morning, when I let chickens and ducks out of the run, Daisy and Jake head straight for the pool and watch excitedly while I put fresh water in the pool. As soon as the water level is high enough, they both jump in and do their, um... thing. Then Jake jumps out and runs a lap around the pool with his head down. My husband calls it his victory lap.

Do all drakes do this? I'd love to know!
1f600.png

Update: I told my husband I was posting this. He told me that this morning when he went to let everyone out of the run, he saw the two ducks near the water bowl. Apparently, they couldn't wait for their morning "thing". Daisy straightened her head over the water bowl, they did it, then Jake ran around the water bowl!
1f602.png
lau.gif
Yes that is the victory lap, my drake does it too.!! And my gander actually bellows out a victory yell.

Not only does my drake do a victory lap, but when one of my females mounts another female, the one on top also does a victory lap. Very strange.

Oh yeah, Wobbles does this too. IT's hilarious when it happens in their nighttime crate, 'cuz all he can do is run in little circles. Sometimes he even bowls right over Bean!

Question;i have 3 drakes who haven't join our flock.And they have these time s where they do the victory lap,for no reason.They all get excited then do the victory lap.Also,why do hens mount eachother?

Question;i have 3 drakes who haven't join our flock.And they have these time s where they do the victory lap,for no reason.They all get excited then do the victory lap.Also,why do hens mount eachother?

Yes, sometimes they just get excited for no reason and run around like that. At least, mine does. As for hens, well...they just do. I've tried asking them but no dice. Even Bean will mount her little stuffed duck toy sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom