Do all hens begin squatting before they will start laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tabary, Apr 6, 2012.

1. tabary

tabary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Of my six hens, three will squat when I come up close to them. Of these three, only one is actually laying. Can I expect the other hens that are squatting to start laying soon? Also, I was curious... do all hens begin the squatting maneuvers before they start laying or will some hens begin laying eggs without taking up this new behavior?

2. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Some of mine did and some didn't. I have several breeds, so I can't say that WL do this more then BO or another breed, but I did find that the pullets without a Roo sqautted a lot more then the ones where there is a Roo present. My younger girls have been laying since Jan. and they still squat when they see me coming:) My EE's have never squatted for me though.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    They do tend to squat around the time that they begin laying, it's a good indicator, although some never start squatting. The squatting stops after a while, when the hens start to get old. :lol:

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No, not all of them will squat. Very few of mine squat for me anymore, as I have roosters.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by